Impendle with GundaGunda

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
Kymco (all models)
Wow, but JonW’s ride in the Impendle area looked hectic, and I must say I am pleased that I did not put my hand up for that one.

Great one and well done guys!!

But while those brave guys were out there impersonating  dassies,  hippos and klipspringers there was ole Gunda in the same area just chilling and cruising about solo in the midlands getting much needed saddle time and having a good old time doing it.

I did not plan to ride on Sunday, ‘cos everyone was either doing JonW’s ride, was sick, or could not get their pass-books stamped, but when I looked at the dry cool weather, and after about fifty-six  consecutive wet Sundays the pull of the bike was just too strong.

Also, a ride I did with Haplo, Stephen and MadDog a few weeks ago gave me a bad dose of Iwonderwherethatroadgoesitis, which, if untreated, can have complications like insomnia and ingrown toenails,.

So off I went. First stop was at the BP Oasis in Camperdown where a couple of very noisy XRs – I assume on the way to Hilton – almost made me spill my coffee.

On to Richmond and Byrne Village, and then up through the forests on the Elandskop road. It’s marked as a dotted line Garmin Topo & Rec, but it’s actually a gravel freeway.

The beautiful old oaks of the very pretty Byrne Village.

20121104Impendle_00.jpg

20121104Impendle_01.jpg

Approaching Elandskop.

20121104Impendle_02.jpg

I headed for the Pickle Pot for second breakfast and found this fella and his wife on the grass. I thought he may have a problem, but the only problem was that it was not quite opening time of 09:00. I had not realized how early I had left Durban North.

20121104Impendle_03.jpg

A scone the size of a Durban Bunny Chow.

20121104Impendle_04.jpg

I took the tar towards Impendle intending to take the D522 past Tilletudiem, but hit a locked gate with a “Prior Arrangement” sign – I thought all D roads had public passage servitude.

The road to the Dargle with Nhlosane in the background. I believe “Nhlosane”describes a maiden’s breast – needs a bit more imagination than I have.  

Edit: My Zulu colleagues tells me the word is closer to "puberty" . . .

20121104Impendle_05.jpg

Near the Dargle.

20121104Impendle_06.jpg

A short detour to Fort Nottingham. This was built in 1850 something. Apparently when Queen Vic annexed Natalia, most of the Boers who had settled the area got pissed off and headed back over the Drakensberg leaving no buffer between the naughty natives and the Brits, so they imported a whole bunch of settlers – mainly Scottish – to the area. Unfortunately the local San guys took a liking to British beef and lamb, and so the Brits brought in some guys from the Nottinghamshire Regiment to act as San chasers, and cow and sheep guards, and built this fort in 1856. Many of the farms and locals have Scottish names like MacDonald, MacTavish, Makatini, and Makanye.

20121104Impendle_07.jpg

I had a good laugh at the thought of this metrosexual guy with the nifty red jacket chasing San hunters around the Drakensberg foothills. I have to say my sympathies lie with the San guys.  ::)

20121104Impendle_08.jpg

And then to Michaelhouse School.

I found my old 1972 Hewlett Packard Scientific calculator in a box, and decided to renovate it and donate it to the school maths department. It’s a bit of a collector’s piece as it was the first electronic scientific calculator, and marked the end of the slide rule and log tables. I spent about half an hour discussing the evolution of calculation technology with the Maths teacher.

I hope it survived the trip in my top box.  

20121104Impendle_09.jpg

I got to crossways a long time before JonW’s gang, but no problem – a great pie and an ale brewed  on site.  
This is an attempt to photograph hail. It was amazing – one moment it was brilliant sunshine, then a few thunder claps and a bit of marble-sized hail, and then brilliant sunshine again for the ride back with stops on the way to buy Belgian Chocolates for my landlady and raw Peel's honey for a guy called Mnelisi who works with us and was whingeing when he saw "China" as the country of origin on some honey he bought at the P&P.

20121104Impendle_10.jpg

The route from Richmond to Nottingham Road. A very newbie and pillion friendly track.  About 50/50 tar and easy gravel.

20121104Route.jpg

Hi Peter

Nice ride and pics. That's a very cool route you did through Byrne Valley, one of my favourites.

GundaGunda said:
This is an attempt to photograph hail. It was amazing – one moment it was brilliant sunshine, then a few thunder claps and a bit of marble-sized hail, and then brilliant sunshine again for the ride back

Ja that sounds like pretty typical Hilton weather at the moment, just add some thick mist in between all the rest  :biggrin:

wilddoc said:
Lovely trip.
Must do it some time with my wife.

Easy enough to navigate, but the track to make it a little easier . . . . Nice round trip from your part of the world.

Attachments

• 20121103Impendle.gpx
    52.1 KB
Hey Gunda... that's also my neck of the woods, so if you ever want to travel a wee bit further from Fort Nottingham, let me know, and it would be a pleasure to show you some of the other lekker roads around the area. The roads are all very "Ou Toppie" friendly :ricky: I've realised I'm getting into your type of riding, and can't keep up with the youngsters anymore! :lol8:
Nice RR...... makes me want to go there NOW! :thumleft:

Tommy Transalp said:
. . . so if you ever want to travel a wee bit further from Fort Nottingham, let me know, and it would be a pleasure to show you some of the other lekker roads around the area. . . . .

Thanks mate - sounds good. Next time you down give a shout - I need to visit the Mooi River falls again before the dry season.

Hey Oom GG

Lyk na 'n lekker trippie, maak my sommer lus om nou op die bike te klim!

GundaGunda said:
.... Many of the locals have Scottish names like MacDonald, MacTavish, Makatini, and Makanye.

:imaposer:

Thx for posting