..introducing myself...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

malJohann

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Singer (all models)
I've never given thought to introducing myself as most of you already (sort of) know me through the numerous replies and topics I've made on this forum, but I thought I'd take some time to introduce myself more thoroughly.

My name is Johann, Iâ??m Afrikaans and I was born 9th September 1978 (which makes me 29, and married, sorry girls). Most of my life I've excelled in everything I've put my mind to, although for me that is the challenge, putting my mind to something and sticking to it. Perseverance I think it's called. You see, I'm a lazy bugger by design and if you can get me off my arse I'm able to do wondrous things with little guidance. I'm known to have a wide general knowledge base, but I think that comes from being very intuitive, reading a lot about a lot of things, and having notoriously difficult yet knowledgeable siblings (all 5 of them).

If you've met me (which most of you haven't) and had some conversations with me you'd think I should be some kind of engineer or something, but that was decided for me when I totaled my Matric certificate by flunking Maths and Science (which I should have excelled in, but I'm lazy). In that I think I was kind of blessed, as becoming an engineer I would have worked for an ungrateful salary (in South-Africa at least) and would probably not have been in a position to start realising some of my dreams soon.

Currently I'm an Analyst Programmer (spit) with a good salary in one of those cushy jobs (to my disgust) where you don't do much (spit), but get wowed at when some pre-chewed code/system gets thrown your way and you do wonderous things with it. My brothers and I are starting an IT business soon, which is going to be the start of even bigger things. You see, I really am a Designer/Inventor at heart and see myself moving and shaking in several industries in a couple of years from now. Specifically prosthesis, weapons platforms (my forefathers was Viking sword smiths, so it's in the blood), space flight (maybe), and architecture (mostly large-scale residential though).

My interests and hobbies range from physical exercise (jogging, cycling, parkour), to anything that moves me (bikes, cars, boats), to reading and scribbling a lot (sci-fi, designing, charcoal art), and more recently to doing/fixing things myself (and getting rid of that lazy bugger syndrome).

Motorcycling for me started with my first ride on a friend's Yamaha DT50 in school when I was allowed to take it for a short spin and almost crashed it because I didn't know how to use the front brake. More recently (more than 2 and a half years ago) I had to buy the Suzuki Raider 150 due to transport problems (although now I'm thoroughly enjoying it), and then I happened on this site which (amongst other things) led me to buy another bike, namely the Suzuki DR200SE. From here on it's downhill for me.