Introduction to sand. Sunday 6th WC

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kamanya

Andrew to most
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
I am not a bike instructor, but have some experience in riding big bikes in sand. Also, I have some insight into the head games that sand plays with us and have done a bit of coaching around this.

In an effort to introduce more riders to the fun that is sand riding I would like to offer a morning of sand coaching to 6 complete sand beginner riders. First come first served. (don't put your name on the list and then come up with a last minute excuse. Because, you'll rob some else of the opportunity)

Results are not guaranteed, hell, I might even make it worse for you. I am an amateur at this, but I've done enough falling to at least show you what not to do.

What you need is;

You have to have something 750 or bigger. Must be a Dual sport bike.
A fear of sand or at least a big aversion to it but want to learn to ride it. You paddle when you get to sand.
Have been riding for at least 2 years... Just not sand. You have some cautious confidence on gravel, but don't slide it on purpose.
Have an attitude that enables you to be coached. Leave your ego, fear of embarrassment and temper behind.
Be prepared to participate actively in group discussions around your fears.
A camelbak type supply of water.
Only enough fuel in your bike for 80k's or so, keep it as light as possible.
Dual sport tires. Knobblies not needed, but very worn tires are going to make your morning tough.
Bring something to remove your mirrors. You should have a few slow biffs in sand that will do no damage if you remove the mirrors.
Tires pumped to normal gravel travel pressure. Bring pressure gauge.
You are going to sweat... A lot, wear lighter gear, but don’t skimp on ATGATT. Takkies or ankle boots are not enough. Proper riding boots, a jacket, helmet and gloves are the bare minimum.
Do not go big the night before.

Meet at the entrance to the brickyard on the N7 about 300 meters on the left before the Zone 7 turnoff.  33°46'29.10"S  18°32'53.33"E  Sunday the 6th at 7.30am. You should be finished before 12 noon.... in more ways than one!

If you are keen, reply to this post. Then, PM me with the following answers;

Name and phone number
Bike
Experience
A few words on sand; what about it bothers you. How do you react to it. Why do you want to ride it. (one word answers don't count)

Latest posts