Invite from London associate, Re a trip next year - London to CT

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cave Girl

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Kawasaki KLR 650
This is an unashamed round-robin to ask if you or any of your friends would be interested in riding their motorbikes down to Cape Town next year.
There were supposed to be three of us but two have had to drop out and I am reluctant to do it solo on a bike.  If you aren't interested then please do forward on to those who might be.  Ideally I am looking for those who will commit within the next 2 months and have a serious interest in doing it.  The majority of planning has already been done over the last 2 years so it isn't an idea that popped up last weekend in the pub!

In Detail

Departure Date - 07 June 2009 from central London (estimated return date is end of October 09)

Duration - Route plan is for 3 and a half months including rest days and admin days en route, ideally allowing an extra 2 weeks for holdups bringing the total to 4 months.

Route - UK through France and down to Italy to get the ferry to Sicily then into Tunisia and along North Africa through Libya and into Egypt.
South through Egypt and down into Sudan via the ferry.  Sudan into Ethiopia, into Kenya and through to Tanzania.  Tanzania to Malawi for a well earned break and on to Zambia (with the possibility of 4 days on a house boat to cross Lake Kariba) and through to Namibia to ride the skeleton coast down to South Africa and Cape Town.

Cost - 10,000 GBP.  This has been calculated to include the cost of an appropriate bike, fuel, food, lodgings, repairs, visas, insurance and vehicle bonds for temporary import and export as well as some incidental costs.  More details to those who come back with a keen interest.

Aim - The aim is to complete the journey in the 3 and a half months without knackering anyone.  There will be sights and places to stop off at along the way and those are up for discussion according to personal interest of those doing it.  No massive intention to ride for days out of the way to see one particular thing or another but time may be on our side occasionally so detours could be an option.

Contact Details

Please get in touch yourselves or get pals who are interested to contact me either on the email above or on my UAE mobile
00971 50 6989034
Currently 4 hours ahead of the UK but early morning calls that end in a good result are welcome!
Sorry let me know if you need his e-mail address

Nigel

Latest posts