Is it worthwhile to downgrade from 1150 Adv to 1200 Adv

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
On Friday the 13th of May 2005 I took delivery of a brand new 1150 Adventure from MikedaBike of Lyndhurts. True to its reputation, the new 1150 Adv performed brilliantly in every respect. It had a presence like no other bike and one got the feeling that it would last forever. It soaks up heavy loads, long distances and bad roads with unlimited patience and pampers the rider with a most comfortable and forgiving ride. My trusty 1150 Adv and I did many memorable trips together and made many new friends. See trip articles and trip reports on bmwmotorrad website: A good day for a new bike?, The Roof - A spectator's view, Iron Butt Ride - Cape Town and back etc.

So thrilled was I with the new and perfect bike that I was happy to keep it forever. Oil and filters were changed every 5000 km (more often after dirt roads) and everything was looked after in a manner which suited this masterpiece. Only the best would do.

The saying goes that the sense of possession turns sand into gold and I was convinced that BMW would never build a bike like the 1150 Adv again. When many friends upgraded their 650?s and old 1150?s to 1200 GS?s, I almost felt sorry for them that the best (1150 Adv) was no longer available.

Unfortunately for me and my 1150 Adv, MikedaBike of Lyndhurts has got a job to do. The evil seeds were sown when Mike invited me for a ride some months ago. Mike arrived on his new demo white and red 1200 Adv and promptly handed over the keys. I must admit, although I have complete confidence in Mike?s riding abilities, I was a bit worried handing over my keys! After all, accidents do happen and production of 1150 Adv?s ceased!

During the unsolicited test ride over the Magalies via some dirt roads and some long sweeping tar roads it soon dawned on me that the German engineers improved a few things with the new bike. Maybe the 1150 Adv was not perfect in all respects.

The new balance shaft equipped boxer engine is more powerful and smoother than the 1150. The gearbox lost most of the clunky character and the Germans managed not to make the same mistake of the standard 1150?s long sixth gear. Sadly, the short first gear of the 1150 Adv was not carried over but the rest of the ratio choices were very good and nicely spaced. The wind protection is brilliant and I cannot imagine that even a 1200 RT would be much better. I quickly felt very comfortable on the new 1200 GSA.

Nice touches include the brake lever with a flip down bit and wide foot pegs for riding in a standing position, a trip computer with some useful info, self-cancelling indicators etc. but the new 33 litre tank really puts the 1200 Adv in a class of its own when it comes to devouring long distances off the beaten track.

On the negative side, the vulnerable, cheap plastic brake and clutch fluid reservoirs disappoint and the Spartan standard tool set is downright pathetic but the poor sump protection really prevented me from giving the new bike an unreserved thumbs up.

Since standard equipment includes all the nice touches above plus crash bars, spotlights and pannier brackets, the asking price sounded very reasonable indeed.

Back on my own bike, the 1150 Adv for the first time, did not feel quite as smooth or responsive but somehow it still had a more solid feel than the new plastic bike. I nevertheless told Mike that maybe he can put me down for the first non ABS 1200 Adv of 2007?..I could almost not believe myself saying that.

I was a bit of a shock when Mike phoned recently with the news that ?my? new bike arrived and that I must come over to see the unpacking from the crate. One thing led to the next and Alistair made me a trade-in offer that I could not resist. As they say, the rest is history.

Lyndhurst got the new bike ready in time for our planned trip to watch the Roof of Africa event and support a few rider friends. As usual it was a thrill to see riders like Lourens Mahoney, Riaan van Niekerk, Cleyton Enslin and others in action. Darryl Curtis did not participate but attended to support his fellow riders. What super men and athletes!

Stephen King of Touratech joined me for the ride to Lesotho and for a change, I could teach him something ? that is to ride at 120 km/h (running in). Thanks for the patience Stephen!

I had the sword of the 1000km service over my head and had to cut participation in festivities short accordingly. My rider friends went on with some more exploring and a tour around Lesotho via Rhodes. Well ?. next time!

So, the question after the first 1000 km remains: Was it worthwhile to downgrade from an 1150 Adv to an 1200 Adv?

The new 1200 Adv is a brilliant effort and raised the bar with a new, smooth engine and gearbox and many new innovations but we all know that the original Adventure is a very special bike. In fact. I venture to predict that it will become one of BMW?s classics and pristine examples will fetch insane prices in a few decades from now.

I hope that the cheap plastic bits on the 1200 Adv will survive but the most serious shortcoming for people who use their 1200 Adv?s like it should, is the flawed sump protection. During the recent GS challenge this vulnerability was shown up for the umpteenth time by the unforgiving Eastern Free State sandstone formations. A roaring aftermarket industry developed to improve on BMW?s poor design and Hyde, Touratech and others are laughing all the way to the bank.

In my view, the BMW engineers should channel a bit of R&D funds to solve this problem forever and offer an upgrade kit ? then we might have the greatest GS of all time!

That is until the R1300 GS Adventure arrives in a few years!

Life is great!

GSAdoz

PS: In part answer to the title question I include a few remarks on the new bike from friends:

Hermien: Eish, maar dis 'n mooi fiets - kom wys biejtie vir ons...

Dr. Piet: Baie geluk met nuwe fiets - geniet hom oor 'n 100.

Gerbrand: Hi Piet, Het jy toe geswig! Mooi fiets!

Jurgen: biurriful!...jy hou van vuurdoop

Francois: Dit lyk cool man !

Stefan : Piet arrived on a brand new 1200 GSA which he bought under secret conditions, causing MbB to be fired from the KGB.... Mooi fiets Piet!

John : Here is Piet, a really good guy, crossing on his GS 1200. He collected this bike brand new from the dealer 5 days previously. When I queried him on taking his brand new machine into the bush, he replied with a friendly grin that this is exactly what he had got the bike for. What a great attitude.