Jackets and pants - my opinion

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Piet

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Kawasaki KLR 650
This isn't to criticise, I'm just wondering how many people are in the same boat as I am.

I cannot understand why people would take out anywhere between R5000 and R25000 for a pricey whichever brand jacket and pants (or full suit). Injuries do not ask the value of your bike, but it also do not ask the value of your gear.

Boots I understand, they can save an ankle fracture, gloves I understand, helmet (and maybe leatt brace) I understand. But I feel that the only injuries jackets and pants will prevent/minimise are roasties? And roasties are the least of my worries - I would like to prevent shoulder dislocations, knee fractures, neck injuries, hand fractures, ligament tears etc. Those are the injuries that cost money (and loads of time) to fix. Also, chances and extent of roasties are lower on gravel than on tar.

I'm not saying I'm right, but my opinion is that your injuries will greatly depend on the luck of the draw. If you have a fall, injuries will depend on whether your limbs are out of the bike's way, the surface/obstacles you fall on, and whether you slide vs. something getting stuck and you start tumbling.