Jhb to Westcoast then Cape Town. Some advice needed please.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Myrtle

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F800GS
Hi - So planning a trip from 3 rd Jan.

Some background. I ride a 1200gs and my Fiance will be with me until Cape Town. I can ride sand and tech but not keen with her as pillion. Reasonable dirt no problem.
So the planned route is as follows:
  1. Jhb to Upington (day 1)
  2. then into Namibia at Ariamsvlei and onto Noordoewer (day2)
  3. Noordoewer to Port Nolloth - this is where I need help - Either stay in Namibia and exit at Alexander bay (Openheimer bridge) and tar to Port Nolloth. (Attachment 1) Or the dirt road that runs from Vioolsdrif via Eksteen to Alexander bay. Then PN. (attachment 2) On google maps it said that route 1 contains private roads. Any idea if this is true? what are the roads like? I did a bit of the second option (about 50km before Viljoensdrift) at the 2016 Amamageza and that was ok. Not sure what the rest to Alexander bay is like. Also any recommendations of places to stay at the Noordoewer/Vioolsdrif area?
  4. Then from Port Nolloth down to Nuwerus. Attachment 3 - that shows all the way to Lambertsbaai but it is the first section to Hondeklip baai that I need advice. Is this reasonable or a 4x4 track?
I would appreciate feedback on the quality of the roads and any other relevant factors that could make the trip more enjoyable.

Thank you for your help. 1 Noordoewer to Port Nolloth.png2 Vioolsdrif to AlexB.png3 P Nolloth to Lamberts.png