Kakamas you say? Amageza 2013

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The stage 2 video is great. One thing about these helmet cams it looks scary when the rider all of a sudden looks to the side. Seems the bike is running into the bushes. Couple of big rocks on the outside of some of the bends  :eek7:    At 7min that deep sinking sand.
Respect  :thumleft:

:thumleft:
Respect Andrew, if there is one man that can ride a big KTM then its you. Always a pleasure to watch you ride that bike.

had a quick look on the forum to see what was going on. Holy moly but you guys were racking up the pages!

Us wannabees did what we could  :biggrin:

I left soon after a bunch of guys and promptly got myself very lost. Garies is a nothing town and there can only be 2 or 3 ways to get out of it!? Never doubt the ingenuity of stupid though, I found a 5th way. I found myself following bike tracks down a very gnarly path into a riverbed with enduro type warning tape all over the place. I thought, “hell Alex, 200k’s to go and we are starting it on an endure type track!!???”

There was a fair bit of debate about what you were doing from those of us following - that's for sure - same goes for your ride into town, for what turns out to be for a steak  :biggrin:.

Must admit that tracking thingy of yours really made the event come to life for me - thanks for going through the schlep (and expense) of keeping it going.

Very sad seeing the collapsed link on that 690!  Must be terrible to get that far and then have that happen!

capeklr said:
:thumleft:
Respect Andrew, if there is one man that can ride a big KTM then its you. Always a pleasure to watch you ride that bike.

Actually, I happen to be the only one of many who has a helmet cam and care to write about my trips. There are a bunch of big bike riders who easily could feature in this race and I consider...
Legedema is not well and super smooth rider - very hard to stay with. A bit irritating as he has a riding age of 20 but is physically closer to 50.
Weskus is certifiable - certainly shouldn't be ridden with... far to competitive. Blitzig!
SGB - Never ridden with him, but about as good as you get by all accounts.
Rickus - big enough to ride an SE like a 450.... and does.
Archangel - super strong, fearless, really great attitude.
Orange Swifty - Fucken nuts!
Firesquirrel - old enough to know better.
Berm Rooster - he'd be right up there in the numbers.
Roost... ?! I couldn't stay with him and I was trying... hard. And far too good looking.

Keep it up K , loving it , thanks a lot .  :thumleft: :thumleft:

:imaposer:

Attachments

• Sponsor.jpg
    Sponsor.jpg
    36.7 KB
:imaposer:  :laughing4:  :laughing4: Well spotted!

Reckon Andrew will have plenty of sponsorship next year from these guys thanks to his detailed accounts of all his No/ 2's ;D

alanB said:
Very sad seeing the collapsed link on that 690!  Must be terrible to get that far and then have that happen!

Latest 690 issue on advrider. RR making a billet replacement and Kouba just released an almost standard height one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not a lot of data usage for the Iphone tracking app. It was running the whole day. That's impressive!

Attachments

• Data usage.jpg
    Data usage.jpg
    192.1 KB
Kamanya said:
Not a lot of data usage for the Iphone tracking app. It was running the whole day. That's impressive!

Makes sense...it probably only uploads text based data (coordinates and some other info like speed etc) to the website...shouldn't be a lot ito kb's.

BlueBull2007 said:
It gets better and better!

Jaques fix was awesome! Is he on this forum? I wonder how his story unfolded?
Kamanya helped me get home that day, and he was kind to say that I was not too slow? Thanks bud.!! Willem Du Toit 131 WDT was the brain behind the boer maak a plan, I was a bit moedeloos at that stage, it helped me get through day 3 and still came in 10th. This tower was braking every day, not the best prep from my side and besides Kamanya and Willem there was several other guys that helped me with stuff along the way to keep me going. God willing, I will be back next year, hope to see you all there!!! Cheeers Jacques 134

Jacques@Upington said:
Kamanya helped me get home that day, and he was kind to say that I was not too slow? Thanks bud.!! Willem Du Toit 131 WDT was the brain behind the boer maak a plan, I was a bit moedeloos at that stage, it helped me get through day 3 and still came in 10th. This tower was braking every day, not the best prep from my side and besides Kamanya and Willem there was several other guys that helped me with stuff along the way to keep me going. God willing, I will be back next year, hope to see you all there!!! Cheeers Jacques 134

Welcome Jacques  :hello:
No pressure, but I would love to hear the full account of your exploits.

Day 3. Hopefully I would make the finish today.

The camp faeries woke me up at close to 4. Something must be said about them. They were a team of guys from Zulu Overland who were always smiling and did their thing really well. They worked really long days and I hope to see them again next year.

I have carpal tunnel syndrome and my hands deteriorate over multi day rides, especially if I am hoofing along. I think with all the stretching and MTB’ing, my hands were not that bad this morning and I could ride. Before, I have had to struggle for most of the morning before my hands would work.

I have a thing about minimal effort. Time and effort are luxuries on rallies. I try to maximise the return on both. Take breakfast for example; it takes time to wander over to the restaurant, get a meal and eat it, then pay, and wander back to the action. I like to take Future life cereal. Straight over to the Zulu Overland coffee table, mug of the stuff mixed with some long life, stir and drink it down, wash mug out. I’ve eaten before I’d even have made it to the restaurant. It helps that I really like Future Life. I was raised on Pronutro and this is like Pronutro on steroids. No need for sugar and adding water doesn’t detract from the taste either.

I’ve mentioned my dress routine. Maintenance on the big beast is simple too. I suppose the only time waster is ablution and everyone knows that shouldn't be rushed.

I went and found Kevin as soon as I could. I really didn’t like riding with a part of his bike on mine especially if he didn’t know about it. Karma and all that. He was extremely happy to know that a part of his bike was joining me on the stage and wouldn’t hear of any apologies. Really nice guy, him and is son. I am sorry they were out.

Speaking of out, there were a few guys who really battled during the evening to put their bikes back together. Some with success others not. I really felt for the guys who either through medical or mechanical weren’t in it anymore. Next year chaps!

My start time was 5.45, I was really looking forward to the day.

I have spent a lot of time in the Richtersveld and the Orange river. I think it has some of the most beautiful scenery and riding. There would be two special stages today. One that went into the richterveld and the other along the Namakwa Eco Trail. Joining them together would be 3 liaison sections. Between the two would be the option of filling up again but that entails a border crossing as there is only petrol on the Namibian side in that part of the world.

First there was a little 60k’s to Steinkopf to deal with to fuel up. It was bitterly cold. This is an on-board in the cold shot. Suns just coming up

Cockpit

My favourite photo from the whole trip. Hennie Smit.

Cold as!

Jacques with his modified tower

I missed a small detour into the petrol station at Steinkpopf and lost some waypoint time from that. I was in two minds about fuel; I could put 40 litres in and do both special sections on one fill, or do the passport thing and admin and schlep over into Namibia.

After hearing about the roughness through others of the 1st section I chickened out of doing the Exxon Valdez thing and had about 25 litres in for the stage.

The start was a few kilometres west towards Port Nolloth

Charl at the start.

Peter and Hennie

Hennie on his way. We were all very clever with the chirps when he found a box of neutrals.

Peter shot off and too soon my time was nearing. I really didn’t know where I stood in the race as the results had been posted in the restaurant and I hadn’t been there that morning. Andy informed me that I was lying 10th and 10 minutes behind Rudi. Hmmm maybe I shouldn’t have let him sleep! The bugger!

This is the stage North is to the left

Anyway, time was up an off I went. The first 70k’s was really quick. I have a thing about going too fast in the early morning or late afternoon. Big meaty things with 4 legs are more active then. But, I could see relatively far and there was not a lot of big vegetation so I went for it. These big bikes are made for this. I think a 690 is still the fastest overall, but just have some open corners and longer straights and the big bikes more than hold their own.

Soon enough we started climbing and unusually the track only gradually got more hectic over about 10k’s. I was doing alright and making good navigation choices. The path was not always apparent even though 7 or 8 bikes were in front of me.

Climbing up into the hills the track started to really get rough, it was square shale type stuff that makes metallic bell noises when ridden on.

I was catching Peters dust when out of the Blue I met with Kurt and Deon. They were taking it easy and had stopped for a smoke. I think it was one of them who had asked me the night before if the Richtersveld was worth it? Alex had put the fear into them and were contemplating not riding the section. They said the path was to the left. I thought it was to the right and I had seen dust going that way. They did confirm that riders had gone that way but more had gone to the left. I thanked them and wished them fun and went left. It was soon apparent that it was the wrong way but the GPS waypoint seemed just behind the little hill to my right. I was on the wrong side of a hill and couldn't just ride over it so worked my way around and rode  back along what was the right track but in the wrong direction. Once I got to the Waypoint it took me a little while to finally work out what I had done wrong. This is a wonderful part of rallying, the trick is to keep your head and slow down and try not to guess. I think I lost about 20 minutes here.

The yellow line is the correct route. Where it parts from the red line is where I met the two of them

It wasn’t long once I’d found the waypoint that Jacques and Charl caught me. From there we rode together. It got really technical with steep switchbacks to get off the mountains then beautiful vistas looking down into the Orang river valleys. The navigation was pretty hard and I believe that some spent quite some time undoing that little puzzle.

At one point I had to stop as my idle revs were too high. It makes the slow going pushy and engine braking is less. As I got off, I tripped and fell into Charls’ font wheel. He must be a jinx around me, I can’t seem to not fall over when he’s near! We had a laugh and good chat about how much fun it was out here.

A little further on.

All too soon we were in riverbeds and having a ball when the end came up. I was having so much fun I missed the finish line in the roadbook. I had gotten used to seeing people at the finish line. Here there wasn’t one. The boffins back at HQ would interrogate our GPS’ to get out times. Just after the finish line it was a 40 zone, I got pinged doing 65.

I don’t think the riding was particularly difficult, just the remoteness of the area made it both stunning and a big problem if something went wrong. I had elected to ride safely and not do anything stupid. Of all the stages this one had the least competitive feel for me to it.

One down, one to go. I could smell the beer in Kakamas!

But there was the little issue of a very slow ride to the border post. Dust is a huge issue for the farmers here so the posted limits are 40 for long periods of time.

Border crossing are, well, there’s very little to love about them. I did the paper work and fuelled up, grabbed a coke and a roll and headed back. I barely made it in front of a bus load of French overlanders on the Namibian side. That would have taken a ball of time.

On the  road out of the valley – 5 myle poort I stopped in the silence and had a really good lunch

Right-ho. On to Stage 4

Video of the stage. Not much towards the end of the stage. Watching the video, I really wouldn't want my Mom to see it, but it felt a lot safer riding it.

Click on the picture. For those that want to know, @ 5.20'ish gps reading is 153