Kaokoland - Advise on roads needed please

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lootch67

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
As you might know were doing a trip through Kaokoland in October. I've got most of the route sorted but a road which is causing some confusion (mostly due to different maps) is the one from Okongwati to Otjitanda. I have 3 maps of Kaokoland and have relied quite heavily on Google Earth and Metaljocky's report although sans most of the rivers. Most of them show only one route (via Etengwa). By all accounts from the web and the maps at my disposal this road is not too bad except for about 6km before Otjitanda. I have however spoken to someone who claims to know the area quite well. He claims that that stretch of road is VERY bad but I can't help but feel that he's referring to the other road and not the one via Etengwa. Could someone please shed some light on this.

Also, if you can recommend a particular road or would like to warn me about a particularly nasty road please feel free to do so. We're not planning on doing that stretch along the river between Epupa and Swartbooisdrif but Van Zyl's Pas has not been ruled out completely. Speaking of which, what's the condition of the road between Swartbooisdrift and Ruacan like?

Many thanks!