Karoo Ride

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is it possible to send me the co-ordinates or location of this pic? I have to ride that pass!

I have obviously seen pix of it before but your pic suddenly made me really want to ride it.

View attachment 914689
Shared route
From Philippolis, 9970 to Ouberg Pass (4x4) via R384.

7 hr 40 min (690 km)
7 hr 40 min in current traffic

1. Head south on R717 toward Rowelsfontein St
2. Turn left onto R369/R58
3. Turn right onto R58
4. Turn right onto the N1 ramp to Cape Town
5. Turn right onto the ramp to N10
6. Turn right onto N10
7. Turn left onto N12
8. Turn right onto R384
9. Turn right to stay on R384
10. Turn left onto R361
11. Turn right onto Van Riebeeck Street
12. Turn left
13. Turn right
14. Turn left onto R354
15. Turn right
16. Turn right
17. Slight right
18. Slight right
19. Arrive at location: Ouberg Pass (4x4)
For the best route in current traffic visit https://maps.app.goo.gl/C2oTVwSMFpPT4CUA9?g_st=ac

We continue to a place called something opi berg and fill up. We backtrack and make our Way to Oasis.
We talk about our Petrol situation as we only got 5l for the 990 and 2.5l for the Bm and the 790 at Middelpos. The 990 has a Bladder of 9l on the Back and surely needs it. On top of Katbakkies the 990 and the Bm begin to stutter and they share the Bladder 4/2.View attachment 914685

View attachment 914686

Shared route
From Philippolis, 9970 to Ouberg Pass (4x4) via R384.

7 hr 40 min (690 km)
7 hr 40 min in current traffic

1. Head south on R717 toward Rowelsfontein St
2. Turn left onto R369/R58
3. Turn right onto R58
4. Turn right onto the N1 ramp to Cape Town
5. Turn right onto the ramp to N10
6. Turn right onto N10
7. Turn left onto N12
8. Turn right onto R384
9. Turn right to stay on R384
10. Turn left onto R361
11. Turn right onto Van Riebeeck Street
12. Turn left
13. Turn right
14. Turn left onto R354
15. Turn right
16. Turn right
17. Slight right
18. Slight right
19. Arrive at location: Ouberg Pass (4x4)
For the best route in current traffic visit https://maps.app.goo.gl/C2oTVwSMFpPT4CUA9?g_st=ac
Really appreciate that @Wolzac . Sommer all the way from Flopillis. (y) I'll use that as a basis to plot a gravel route. I think in autumn next year, maybe March or so.

We arrive at Oasis late Afternoon. After a lekker Shower we head to the important Place to have a few Beers and Dinner. We met a Guy from England touring Africa on a KTM 640 and a Chap from Ladismith on a 650 Dakar who has never heard of Wild Dog Adv. Die twee raak gesellig and the Evening ends the Next Morning.😵‍💫
20240910_075951.jpg

Last edited:
Next Morning the Lummels look sad and abused. Luckily I retired earlier than them and after Brekkie we hit the Road. Destination Merweville where our Base is. We plan to ride via Amandelnek, Southerland and Rammelkop Pass.

I wait for them where the Amandelnek Road meets the Tar at the Southerland Intersection roughly 25 km outside of Town. As they arrive my Stepson wants to Dice again, this Time 0-160, standing Start. Immediately the 990 and me pull away and the 990 beats me by about 5 meters. That thing at full tilt is something to behold if you can appreciate Opera, holy F&#ck, I had to stay behind just to show my appreciation.;) We continue to ride hard up the flowing Pass toward Sl and about 10 kms out of Town I was commanded to roll up next to the 990 for a rolling Dice to the Town. At 190 the 990 is pulling away,............
We arrive at the Hotel and order Steak m/r with Pepper Sauce and a Ice cold Zamalek. As the Waiter brings the Steak the BM emerges from the previous Dice, beswaard...........

Last edited:
"Chap from Ladismith on a 650 Dakar" is a work colleague of mine who joined our company a while back. I've mentioned that he should join WD's but don't think he realises what he's missing out on! :D

"Chap from Ladismith on a 650 Dakar" is a work colleague of mine who joined our company a while back. I've mentioned that he should join WD's but don't think he realises what he's missing out on! :D
Hell of a nice Chap, a real Adventurer. A solo Rider that sleeps in a Tent no matter how Cold it is.

Eventually we make our way back to Merweville, ons moet Kole gooi om die Slagter en Messyne Winkel oop the vang.Rammelkop is always a Pleasure. @Tony the Boney introduced the Pass to me Years ago.

Last edited:
Back at our Base we have a heerlike Braai with Rooibos (Red Bushwillow) that we schlepped from the Great North.
20240910_235207.jpg

Last edited:
Next Morning our Route is Laingsburg and then Seweweekspoort, Calitzdorp, Groenrivier, deRust and Klaarstroom where we'll overnight at the Hotel.

IMG-20240911-WA0024.jpg

We stop at the Dam in Calitzdorp and soak up the Beauty of the Klein Karoo. The Scenery is spectacular.

20240912_081117.jpg

Klaarstroom Hotel is a Gem which can host 18 People. The perfect Place for a Mini Bash or Weekend Getaway with Buddie or Wives with excellent Rides in the vicinity. It boasts a lekker Pub and Pool and a lekker Kuierarea. The Rooms are fantastic. The Hotel is way over a Hundred Years old and under new Management. The Owner is American but Management are Boere and they host you like only they can.
IMG-20240912-WA0001.jpg

Last edited:
We have Dinner and I marvel at the exposed solid Yellow wood Beams and Floors. I retire early while the Trulbakkies have another late Night. Next Morning we take a stroll through Town and we come across these 2 British Soldiers that were ambushed in Meiringspoort in the Boerwar.