Khwela adventures Lydenburg ride 18/19 August

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EATMYKTM.

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 950 Adventure S
I'm off tomorrow on a ride out to Lydenburg with Khwela Adventures and RADmoto Edenvale.
Don't have much of an idea what to expect as we are travelling off road 60% of the way aparrently?
I hope the route is lekker as i travel to the Lowveld quite often and hate that bloody N12 to Belfast!
Hopefully i'll be shown a nice new and interesting route that I can follow in future and tell you about on Monday  :mwink:
I'm taking the Super Enduro and this will be our first trip together, so I'm really looking forward to seeing the travelling abilities of "Sedric the Entertaine-R.
Packing really light and all my luggage currently fits in my tank bag in it's compressed state, which I'll strap to the rear of Sedric as a tail pack/ top box. Let's see if everything fit's in tomorrow morning when I remember all the things that I'm sure I forgot to pack? At least I can still expand it to fit those last minute essentials.

I'll post some better details on Monday
Ciao

So we arrived at RAD on Saturday morning at 11am after a quick Wimpy brekkie and fuel stop and were greeted by 21 bikes consisting of 3 Super Enduro's, 1 Super Tenere, 1 660XT-R, 1 690 Enduro-R and 15 990 Adventures. Great turn out and super people taking part.
After a chit chat and riders briefing, we tore out of RAD with our tails held high and generally hooned around on the tar all the way through Kempton, Rayton and into Cullinan. Turning right at the Shell we did our last bit of tar and turned left onto our first dirt which opened a couple of eyes at times with it's sandy sections.
Heart rates settled and confidence grew and great fun was had by all until Sean picked up a dry wall screw in his rear tyre. Gary and the boys mucked in and we had the tube changed in about 20 minutes which was bloody impressive. It really helps when you know your procedures.
Quick fuel stop at the local and we were off to Stoffberg on the dirt again!

Attachments

• 039 (800x600).jpg
    039 (800x600).jpg
    336.4 KB
  • 040 (800x600).jpg
    040 (800x600).jpg
    401.1 KB
  • 041 (800x600).jpg
    041 (800x600).jpg
    412.9 KB
  • 042 (800x600).jpg
    042 (800x600).jpg
    373.6 KB
With the mass of riders split into a faster and more mature grouping, we ensured a dust gap even more by pairing up side by side to shorten the snake of bikes. The route was very cool as it twisted around farms and crossed little rivers. At one stage I thought we may have even been riding in someones farm as the road deteriorated into a narrow 2 track filled with tricky shale and loose stones. This is what adventure biking is all about!
Topping up the tanks in outside Stoffberg we jumped on the dirt again and had a great ride off to Dullstroom.
1 km before the end of this very rocky road I was passing a bakkie and upon emeging from the dust I clipped a lurker with my front wheel that knocked me around and pinched the front tube against the rim. Wobbling to a halt I started to strip the luggage off and get my tools and tube out the seat.
Gary and the rest of the crew gathered around shortly afterwards and after a bit of a battle we (he!) managed to get the tyre back on the rim. That Metzeler Karoo T is bloody stiff China!
It was suset time and we had to get into Lydenburg, so tar it was for the last stretch. No biggie really as that road from Dullstroom to Lydenburg is lot's of fun.
We got into the Sasol just before 7pm, filled the bikes and had a quick hotdog from the store before booking into our lodge Klitzgras. Very lekker lodge and reasonably priced too.
Much silliness ensued around the fire that night after dinner and we turned in at 02-30am... very drunk :laughing4:

Attachments

• 045 (800x600).jpg
    045 (800x600).jpg
    429.6 KB
  • 047 (800x600).jpg
    047 (800x600).jpg
    442.3 KB
  • 049 (800x600).jpg
    049 (800x600).jpg
    340.4 KB
We woke at 6 and after gathering around for a group photo we rolled up an over Long Tom pass for ride down to Sabie for brekkie at the Woodsman. Well that was our excuse but the real reason was that it allowed us to go ride the "22, Kings highway or halfway from Sabie to Hazeyview", which ever you want to call it!
a brilliant piece of tarmac and Sedric just ate it up. He turns in much quicker than my 990 ADV so holding a smooth line required some thought but he was just as quick, even on the Karoo's  :ricky:
When we got back from our scratch, brekkie was served and we kitted up for the ride back up Long Tom.
From Lydenburg we blasted towards Machadodorp and then onto the dirt towards the N4. At the N4, we decided to hook a right and do more dirt to Belfast before slabbing it back home in the predictable headwind that is always present!
We were home by 3:30 and slept like a baby last night.

Attachments

• 051 (800x600).jpg
    051 (800x600).jpg
    445 KB
  • 052 (800x600).jpg
    052 (800x600).jpg
    326.8 KB