Kilroy's XLR 250r Baja project

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KiLRoy

Der Kommissars is in town…
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
As some of you may know I recently bought this https://wilddog.net.za/forum/index.php?topic=67855.0 Baja from 10klr in PE.

So internet research showed the bike to be the same year and model as ganjora's Baja - each in its original colour scheme.  Circa 1987

So I decided (after watching Ganjora's project with great interest) that before Thelma and louise can disappear into the sunset - I better touch my steed up a tad too.  You know how women get if the one looks prettier than the other?  So, since ganjora and Paul already did the hard yards, its seemed just logical to drop the bike at the esteemed gentlemen's country estate... 

Bike is generally in much better condition than G's was when he got it.  rims are ok, spokes bit rusted and a few spots on the frame too.  I immediately bought a Renthal CR high bar and grips.  Something I always do when getting a new bike - bars and grips, in the past it was Pro-tapers, this time renthals. Bars and grips are so personal you know ;)

So, we decided to at least do the following:

1.Fit bars and grips
2. Clean and powdercoat frame - white
3. Clean and spray engibe - grey, same as G's
4. Header pipes are fine, G's were farked - so ceramic coat - black
5. Rims - clean and polish - spokes blasted and coated (removed)
6. Touch - up work all over
7. seat - re-upholstered
8. Fit bag - same as G's
9. LED tail light - from Runner
10. Replace all screws, nuts and bolts
11. Service and few performance stuff like opening the airbox up, clean card, etc
12. etc etc

My big savings, in comparison with G are the rims and header pipes - which are still in good nic.

Herewith some pics

Attachments

• Bike-before.JPG
    Bike-before.JPG
    75 KB · Views: 609
  • engine before.JPG
    engine before.JPG
    48.6 KB · Views: 614
  • frame rust.JPG
    frame rust.JPG
    34.6 KB · Views: 612
  • spokes rust.JPG