KIT REVIEW

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DEON 1190

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 1190 Adventure
With reference to the "CHILLY RIDE " post I thought a review of kit I chose for the POLAR BEAR ride into Lesotho we did in June , with temps including wind chill of around -15 this could be of use the members here .
So without further a due , here is my review

BIKE
2014 KTM 1190 ADVENTURE S
Brilliant motorcycle that has given me nothing but smiles for many many miles , I love my 1190
Tyres - Front MOTOZ GPS TRACTIONATOR , Needed to fit a front tyre as my previous one was just about done for and I was riding to Mossel bay , was offered this tyre at a special price , last one in stock , in all honesty I was not sure about it as it looked way more offroad than I was keen on but price was in the budget , so fitted it, its a fantastic tyre , tread life amazing have done about 16000 kilos and tyre is about 40% worn if that much .
Rear tyre PIRELLI STR , Had a MT60 on before that I liked but no stock made me decide on the STR , was concerned about mileage as the 1190 likes to eat rear tyres , but after 6 months and 12000 kilos I cant complain . most of this 12000 kilos has been long rides , and the tyre has impressed big time , so much so that I will fit another one next month , I have about 2000 left on it . Can recommend fitting the STR , Will do front as well .

CLOTHING
HELMET - SHOEI HORNET 2 this is a awesome helmet , yes they are expensive but those that have one know what I am talking about

JACKET - KTM STREET EVO . This jacket is a KTM powerwear jacket , waterproof with a good thermal lining and enough pocket for everything without being bulky .
PANT - KTM APEX PANT . this is also a KTM powerwear pant , waterproof with good thermal lining . fit over my boots with ease .
BOOTS - ALPINESTARS CORUSOL adventure boot , these wear rated as the best adventure boot for 2023 , riding in winter they are nice and warm , BUT will explain more

BASE LAYERS , Here the options are open and for winter riding layering seems to be the way to go , but to many layers and it impedes movement , so a happy medium needs to be found
, In my preparation for this trip I dfid quite a bit of research , I had some previous experience of what to expect , but one never knows how cold it will get until you are freezing and I should have , and its to late !
I have a TEMO account and shopping for heat holder tops and bottoms got me a nice bit of base layer kit for just over 250 rand . on testing it I was pleasantly surprized , nice and warm . Bought some heat holder socks
from DISCHEM , and thought I was set . but I needed a mid layer and here I was not sure what to do , most of what I read up , mentioned trapping air and down is best to do that , so off to DECATHLON to buy a down
jacket , This jacket was a bit expensive at 2200 rands , but as it is winter kit should last a couple of years , jacket is also packable into a bag and takes up little space if not worn . info FORCLAZ MENS MOUNTAIN TREKKING
JACKET .

GLOVES - MOTORAD GS ADVENTURE DUAL glove , this is a 2 in 1 glove fully waterproof with a grip section that is thin and a waterproof section that is also warm . I was gifted these gloves . They are very good quality but does not tick the winter glove box 100% for days just above freezing they good , under freezing not so great .

I have found that as much as one prepares there is always something that one forgets , and the thing that I forgot was the windchill factor . I did not have it much on my body , but could feel the chill, not cold on my legs , and this is due to the outer layers cooling down big time , so a wind resistant mid layer would prevent this , I did find a pair of windproof warm pants on TEMO and placed my order .

I am now / think I am now 99% kitted for our trip next year , I just have to look at buying a proper pair of winter gloves to get to 100% :cool: