KLR 650 at dewildt

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ngj874

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda NC750X
So my one mate sent me a message on Tuesday asking if I wanna join a easy ride at dewildt. I thought about it for a while as these guys only ride plastics and are by no means slow. I decide I would join cause soon I wanna start doing long cross country trips and need a bit of technical riding experience on a heavy bike. The night before I was getting cold feet but in the morning with my brain not functioning correctly I kitted up and hit the road. I got to dewildt police station at 7:45 with everyone all ready to go. It started off fairly easy up until the water tower where the "fun" started. As I was going down the hill the sump guard was making all sorts of unholy noises hitting the rocks as I descended. Now I know why they fiited the C model with steel rims. The amount of times the front clipped a rock at a point where i was certain I dented it, I found it was still in good shape. I dumped the bike on a stupid rut and dropped it on some rather sharp rocks. The ims tank soaked up the damage with only a few scratches as punishment. Damn that tank is strong! Then the whoops. These whoops are in my opinion hell even on a plastic bike. It was slow going as most of you will know the KLR suspension isn't exactly something to write home about. The whoops finally leveled out and we got to the start of 3 fences. One guy on a honda with club stickers came riding past and went down this bad ass rocky section. As he went over the rocks to his amazement found a steep drop off. Down went the anchors and up went the rear wheel over the front. The guy was alright but due to the handle bars I don't think his sex life was as lucky.

The start of 3 fences. Note the big fat fuel tanker.
4827204772_92fcbf8a5f.jpg

4826601339_3275d0cf09.jpg

Into the abyss
4826594805_e453b84ca2.jpg

The section where the honda went head over heals
4827215070_e0d3921880.jpg

3 fences started off a bit hard but enjoyable. The sand was not too soft and there weren't many rocks to contend with. After the third fence it was F-ing hard. The sand was soft and it was all whooped out. I had to stop a few times to let the bike and myself cool off. As soon as the bike would get some momentum to lift out the sand you go straight into a whoop and have to start all over again. The other bikes understandably got sick of waiting and headed for the shop. I found a little foot path that lead out of the river but after 5min the path ran out into some nice sharp Wag n bikkies. My choice was to either go back into the riverbed or to make my own road. I then headed through the trees and long grass trying to get to the shop and stumbled into a sticky, stinky swamp pit which simply sucks the back tyre into the ground. After doing some path finding I eventually made to the shop and found everyone there already chilling and enjoying a drink.

The shop
4827218892_7ff923e04a.jpg

4827217056_c742bbc1d8.jpg

Swamp thing
4826603471_64173f3638.jpg

after 15min we headed off again. We headed for mx alley which is my favorite section even with the KLR. The mx section has gotten pretty whooped out near the end. We then headed for small technical river which was also good fun until we found some nice slick mud. I picked a rut and went straight for it. As I hit the rut the front tyre sank all the way past the brake caliper. It took four of us and alot of heaving and hoeing to get the big brooser free. Just before the point where the river really gets technical there is a tar road that heads back past Marula. I decided I will rather not completely destroy the bike and head back to the cop shop and wait for the rest to finish. Just before I left the one guys husqvarna clutch system somehow got air in it and threw him head first straight into the river. He was coughing and spitting out alot of the unsavory river water. He decided he would join me to the police station as riding with the dodgey clutch wasn't wise. Got to the cop shop and met up with another dude whose engine decided to give some trouble just after the water tower. We had a few drinks and slap chips while waiting for the others to arrive. Sorry I dont have more pics. I was too busy trying to keep up with the rest.

4827223696_476a619992.jpg

4826612831_ea6d091667.jpg

The nice dings on the frame from the rocks
4826619587_f0c0a5eb47.jpg

4827206004_dd304e632a.jpg

4826617575_444c351c0c.jpg

BOER! said:
Nice Mike.   :thumleft:

Not for the 1200 then?

Not unless you're a sadamasacist and hate your bike :pot:

Where's your Speedo Cable. I noticed in the close up pick of your Fork, that it's missing?

KawaPowa said:
Where's your Speedo Cable. I noticed in the close up pick of your Fork, that it's missing?
Looks like he uses a Trailtech vapor judging by the dash

Lekker manne lekker....maar dis iets wat ek nie met n 'mooi' bike sal aanpak nie!

Looks like a great ride.
Sorry for the hijack, but have to ask you about the IMS tank.
I also have the C model and hate the small 14 l tank. How much does that tank hold?
Did you have any props fitting it?

The tank holds about 25 litres. The only problem is the seat doesn't sit nicely against the tank and leaves a gap between the two.I haven't tries it yet but I was told I can use a heat gun to mold the front of the seat to sit flush. I love the tank. I can ride and not worry about fuel, plus it offers good radiator protection.