KLR again

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dual

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
Got myself a KLR again today
Nice quick trip home - did an old "pass", a railway station and some dirt

IMG_8147.jpg

IMG_8148.jpg

IMG_8151.jpg

Kawa.jpg

Going to do all the farkles or leave standard? :)
Nice pipe?

Pistonpete said:
Going to do all the farkles or leave standard? :)
Nice pipe?

I like things original - perhaps just have to add crashbars for protection

On this bike, or on all in general
Will look into it
Where we stay there are no bike shops - will have to take some gravel over the mountain  :ricky:

dual said:
On this bike, or on all in general
Will look into it
Where we stay there are no bike shops - will have to take some gravel over the mountain  :ricky:
All of them apparently...the STB bolts are very weak & break.

Thanks, I'm lazy to search, where can I source?

The KLR thread guys will tell you....any hardware that sells Grade 8.8....try get zinc or yellow pacivated.

KLR said:
Pistonpete said:
If i read correctly the subframe bolts need replacing?

Will email you a list of the standard Quirks and suggested items that need attention. :biggrin:

In verband met die KLR, hier is 'n paar baie belangrikke dinge om te doen:
Vra net as jy nie mooi weet van wat ek praat nie...

*1 Vervang die Doohickey so gou moontlik. Kyk hier na my video oor die probleem.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QW3EoK4SFWo

*2 Laat die Handelaar jou drade onder die tenk reg insoleer. Hulle moet dit verniet doen,
    want dis 'n official recall deur Kawasaki. As jy dit nie doen gaan die drade deur skaaf
    en uitshort en jou laat staan.

*3 Die subframe boute is van 'n swak gehalte en kan onder 'n swaar vrag meegee en dan val
    die hele subframe inmekaar. Vervang hierdie twee boute met beter high tensile staal.

*4 Die agterste skokbreker se preload is verstelbaar, maar die stel boutjie strip baie maklik. Laat die
    handelaar dit vir jou opstel van no1 tot no3 of 4 en dan los jy dit daar.

*5 Die 2008 modelle se vlikkerligte se rubber is baie swak gemaak en val sommer af vir geen rede.
    Kawasaki moet dit vir jou vervang. Praat met Jan.

*6 Laat jou valve clearances so gou moontlik stel. Die boekie se 'n mens moet die eers op 18K laat
    check, maar toe ek myne op 12K laat stel was dit al reeds buite spec klein en 'n stywe valve brand!
    Laat dit stel tot loose end of spec.

*7 Gaan alle boute op die motorfiets gereeld na. KLR's skud als los. Kyk veral na die boute wat die exhaust
    vashou. Myne het reg voor teen die enjin op die manufold 'n bout verloor en dit kan skadelik wees.
    Gebruik locktite.

Nice pictures and bike! I love my Klr, the subframe bolts are a quick and easy job, just go to bolt and nut or Screw man. I baught the allan key bolts, only 4 and it cost me something like R12. The Doo is finally sorted in the  late 2010 model but yes, you will have to do it. Rather go to one of the KLR bofins like Dr KLR, Le Cap or Groenie for help/fitment. Valve clearance is news for me, have 2 friends doing regular long distance tours and both have done nothing to date except for the doo and subframe bolts, high km's and smiles. Will however rather take the advice and check it around the 10-12k service. KLR still is the best value for money!

definately best valve for money and heaps of fun!...and also so cheap and easy to maintain.
Sold my V strom to buy a KLR and will never look back - not that there's anything wrong with the strom, but I enjoy simple things in life and as they say, if you've got a pliers and some wire, you should be able to fix the KLR!!!

igundwane said:
definately best valve for money and heaps of fun!...and also so cheap and easy to maintain.
Sold my V strom to buy a KLR and will never look back - not that there's anything wrong with the strom, but I enjoy simple things in life and as they say, if you've got a pliers and some wire, you should be able to fix the KLR!!!

Nice Bike. I wish you many miles of smiles.
I went the other way from KLR to V Strom.
Will never look back.