KLR issues with acceleration , backfiring - scratches head :(

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shanti

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
KLR dies when throttle is opened - no power , backfiring . Just got back from a trip to the desert - mid trip the bike starts backfiring then as soon as the throttle is opened the bike just looses all power - managed to nurse it to a mechanic - 230km away with no acceleration on sand is no joke - no way to get out of trouble or soft sand - just plow down and roll .
Bike mechanic checks Carb ( strips it down and reassemble , checks diaphram for holes  ) - nothing wrong - checks fuel flow - nothing wrong , checks air flow - nothing wrong , checks for water in fuel - none , checks for pinched breather hose - none - so now air and fuel side are taken care of only electrics to go -
My question can the above symptoms be a broken stator or pick up or CDI or ......?.... there is no flickering in the head lights when the bike starts dying and backfiring - when the bike is cold she rides normal for about 5 mins then the problem manifests again - at my wits end and broken from many falls in the sand . Had to ride from Upington to Calvinia at 70km - the bike will idle well so I could slowly build speed by just gently touching accelerator - Any advice will be most appreciated .

Attachments

• good 14.jpg
    good 14.jpg
    216.4 KB · Views: 205