KLR Wheel Bearings

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Welsh

Grumpy Mutt
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1150GS
Sorry Shark, would have let you do it but I have the pics.

So about a year and a half ago or so, at least, Shark was discussing the KLR and said one of the must do things (other than the doo) was wheelbearings, they are only semi sealed, (one side only) so water can do damage.

So I was buying some other bits, cannot remember what and said "shall I get" yes, yes, about R 120 later we organised.

So about a week or so ago over a beer (bearings still in Sharkey,s cupboard) he said he had a clacking noise from he rear, on the way back from de Wildt and the cush drive moves?

We think "Bearing" so today we agree fix, he phoned first, "Houston we have a problem" bearing is in bits.

Brought the wheel around, with the remaining bits of the bearing!!! (and some beers).

This is the inner bearing race still on the spacer!!! The spacer is the only "dead piece" that must be replaced still.
Picture072.jpg

The cush drive (Sprocket) slightly cooked, but OK.
Picture074.jpg

However that spacer on that side is a 3 piece press up ding, and she is finished big time.

The wheel bearings.
Picture079.jpg

The nice new sealed bearings.
Picture082.jpg

Picture081.jpg

So despite the total collapse it got home and needs one new spacer.

Not bad, but maybe some of the guys might want to do this sooner than later, especially if you ride water etc. A couple of hundred Rand Max and an hour or 2 of talkin kak over beers.

Cheers Sharkey.

Welsh.  ;D 8) 8)