KTM 525 DS bike

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brontes

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 790 Adventure R
HI All

I have been a dormant member for a while, but now I am back, researching again...I really need some advice (again)... here goes:

Just spoke to a salesman at the KTM shop in Menlyn. I must say, when I mentioned that I wanted a 990 ADV, he asked me a few Q's and suggested the 640 ADV. He says that it is possible to lower the seat (?) etc etc. But this also got me thinking about some of your comments (shark etc etc.)that the rough stuff is meant for the smaller bikes. I searched and found this wonderful website about a KTM 525 DS conversion. (It appears like all these kits are available and can be slapped on.) It looks like such a nice bike!! But would be way too tall for me to ride....i think

https://www.dsadventures.com/ds525.htm

The more I read the forums, the more difficult it becomes to decide what to buy etc etc. My situation is that I have a 70K Harley sportster which I am now selling. (I am tired of scraping the bug-bits from the BACK of my helmet. :)

My heart is on the 990 ADV, but Can I really use it to even 60% of it's potential? Even more so for the 640 ADV (Off-road that is..) (I measured my "inseam" (if there is such a word) and it is a lanky (NOT) 31" or 792mm.) I am comfortable on bikes like the 1000 V-Strom (840 seat height) same for Triumph tiger, but not the GS (I think the bike is too fat (read wide))

Do you agree with me that it would be better to get something like a DR200SE, CRF 230 F first, learn to ride trials etc. keep this for a while and then upgrade to a larger capacity bike?

What is your knee-jerk reaction to these statements?