KTM Enduro 600 LC4 - is it a worthwhile buy?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Watty

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Suzuki Djebel 250XC
I went and looked at a KTM Enduro 600 LC4 last night with the ostentatious idea of restoring it for possible dual-purpose use. Now this is one big mother of a thumper standing quite tall. At a glance I noticed: No electric start, left-handed kick-start and decompression lever, water cooled, and with an unidentified high-performance after-market exhaust pipe. Street legal fittings were fitted, although the mirrors and rear indicators were not on during film session. :evil4:

Info obtained indicates that this particular model was first produced in 1984 and last made in 1992. Nevertheless, judging from images found after an internet searching, the bike appears to be a model from 1989 to 1992.

Now, any advise from all our resident KTM experts and other wise men (and women these days), would it be worthwhile to give the project a go, seeing that the asking price is R10 000 as is. The bike is in a running order, yet I have no idea if all is functioning as expected, i.e. is cooling system OK, no piston slake, gear box still able to select proper gear, etc. My questions are thus the usual ones; are spare parts expensive, are they still obtainable for this particular model, and is it difficult to work on these bikes, etc. and most importantly, could one use this bike as a dual-purpose bike, or is it strictly a bundu basher bike?

Some photos
1215.jpg

1216.jpg

1217.jpg

1218.jpg

1219.jpg

1220.jpg