KTM for beginners guide

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pieter Sielie

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
AJS (all models)
due to unforeseen circumstances I haven't bought myself a Lewensgevaarlik yet. i got a new idea recently. What about the Katoom?

i thought the 800GS was going to be perfect, but I would love a bit of a more punchy motor. Due to my size (1.69m) I only felt comfortable on the lowered seat and subsequently ditched the idea of getting the seemingly big KTM. I loved the BM and need some detailed info about the KTM in order for me to do a proper comparison, or to go for a test ride.

What are the differences between the different 990 models? Is there any lowered options? What do they actually cost? How much fuel do they consume? I want to keep my next bike for a long time and need long term reliability. What are their service and maintenance costs like? I will be riding mostly tar, but want the option to do some touring with a pillion and to tackle some rough terrain. Will this bike be too big for 61kg me? I can definitely ride a bike, just new to the DS thing. I don't want to upgrade to the 'right' bike if I got my decision wrong and definitely don't want a 1200GS, nothing wrong with it, just not the bike for me.

Any info on pricing, touring capabilities, standard equipment etc will be appreciated. Info, not opinions like 'KTM is the best' (even if they are). :thumleft: