KZN - Ashburton to Sierra Ranch Hare Scramble

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Badger

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS Adventure
Hey All, this is my first RR so here goes.

My wife and I wanted to support some friends that were racing in the hare scramble at Sierra Ranch, 20ish km out of Mooi River on the Greytown road.

We met up with our mate Matt on his 1150 GS and left kloof at 06h00 on Sat 27th March 2010. After refueling , getting tyre pressures sorted  and stocking up on water we headed out and slabbed it on the N3 to the Ashburton offramp just before PMB.

The dirt road started there and made our way around Pmb on the northely side and came out on the mountain rise road where we joined the tar again and scootled across to the Wartburg Rd then across to Albert Falls

Attachments

• Sieera Ranch 007.jpg
    Sieera Ranch 007.jpg
    110.8 KB
Ok Badger so now the pressure is on the rest of the RR.... ??? I kno the feeling.... cos I am technically disadvantaged.... :biggrin:

Waiting for the rest.... ;) enjoy posting

Sorry about that........ I thought I had 5 photo's...........

These are all on the road between Ashburton and Albert Falls dam.

Attachments

• Sieera Ranch 002.jpg
    Sieera Ranch 002.jpg
    65.5 KB
  • Sieera Ranch 005.jpg
    Sieera Ranch 005.jpg
    118.4 KB
  • Sieera Ranch 006.jpg
    Sieera Ranch 006.jpg
    67.7 KB
  • Sieera Ranch 010.jpg
    Sieera Ranch 010.jpg
    120.9 KB
  • Sieera Ranch 009.jpg
    Sieera Ranch 009.jpg
    113.1 KB
OK. Thanks Chicco and GO GIRL..... getting there.

We then took the back road from Albert Falls dam through to the Howick Karkloof RD. This section is nearly 30km long through the plantations.

We saw long crested eagles and other raptures along the way. Very nice dirt roads but watch out where they have been grading the road.

We then took the dirt road from Karkloof through to the Mooi River / Greytown Rd. One of the most scenic roads/tracks I have ever been on.

Attachments

• Sieera Ranch 014.jpg
    Sieera Ranch 014.jpg
    86.5 KB
  • Sieera Ranch 008.jpg
    Sieera Ranch 008.jpg
    68.3 KB
  • Sieera Ranch 012.jpg
    Sieera Ranch 012.jpg
    103.1 KB
  • Sieera Ranch 013.jpg
    Sieera Ranch 013.jpg
    158.5 KB
  • Sieera Ranch 015.jpg
    Sieera Ranch 015.jpg
    175.2 KB
There was such an awesome turnout at the hare scramble. The vibe was contagious as usual and all of us that were spectating wished we were racing.

It was good to see fellow WD Outthere competing on his Katoom and it looked like he was having lots of fun.

Around about lunchtime we took the old road through to Knottingham Rd and then on to the N3 and slabbed it home.

It was 40 deg when we passed Pmb on the way home.........eeeeeiissshh

Stay tuned for the next RR next week.

Attachments

• Sieera Ranch 018.jpg
    Sieera Ranch 018.jpg
    102.7 KB
  • Sieera Ranch 019.jpg
    Sieera Ranch 019.jpg
    153.3 KB
Good one Badger .

Keep these reports coming .    GPS routes ??????

Glad you found your way nice to see you guys.

It was a pleasure being there. Thanks for the help in posting Kevin.

That little dirt section between Ashburton and the Back of PMB is a magic little ride  :thumleft:

Nice ride Badger, wish I could have joined you.

Thanks guys.......next time.

I have to thank Outthere and JonW for showing me the route through the Karkloof, tooo awesome.

Yes BStar it is a nice section. I spotted Impala, Kudu and an Otter along that section.

BB the roads are great. At one stage we were doing 150km/h without a wobble or twitch ( except in my head...hahaha)

The Badger said:
Thanks guys.......next time.

I have to thank Outthere and JonW for showing me the route through the Karkloof, tooo awesome.

Yes BStar it is a nice section. I spotted Impala, Kudu and an Otter along that section.

BB the roads are great. At one stage we were doing 150km/h without a wobble or twitch ( except in my head...hahaha)

thought i recognized some of those roads in the Karkloof........
sounds like you had an awesome time, J&F?
150kph.........eish!

Hey WB, yes I know.........those warning bells in my head were clammering to be heard.

I read somewhere on this forum that the faster you ride the more you see.........???? ::)

hahahahahahhaa.....of yur ass ? thats now if you do come short ..............lol

Thats sounds like fun Badger - but eish 150 kp/h ......still need some practice before I would attempt that lol

Very nice first report The Badger! :thumleft:

Latest posts