KZN - Back roads to Nungwane Falls 2008-12-16

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
Kymco (all models)
All through the week the weather forecast for today has been confused. Rain – No Rain – Rain – No Rain.  I now know why. It is because the weather god was just as confused and she could not make her mind up as to what to serve us.

When I headed out there was just enough drizzle to speckle the visor, but there was no way I was going to stay at the B&B.

I had two objectives for the day:-

Find a way out to the Nungwane Falls that does not either go through the “cultural villages” of Mpumalanga or Isipingo Townships.

Find the  way to the top of the Nungwane Falls.

I got to the meeting point very early and was busy reading the paper with a muffin and coffee when EssBee calls from above the snow line in Waterfall.

“Is it wet down there?” he asks, and from the tone of his voice I can tell it is raining up there and he is thinking tea, crumpets and lying in.

Tyrant Gunda is not going to let him off the hook that easily.

“No. It is bone dry.” I tell him. I was not lying. I was under the canopy at the garage and at that instant in time I saw no rain. That it had been raining a bit earlier, and was going to probably rain again was information I did not give.

So he arrives slightly wet and off we go.

Sunday’s ride had filled in most of the puzzle of a back way to Nungwane, and with some help from Google Earth and MapSource I had filled in the gaps.

Problem is it is not that easy to follow a GPS track among the hundreds of roads in all directions, and I think I took about four wrong turns that needed u-turns, but EssBee was not impatient and did not seem to mind much.  Also the light rain had slicked the  road surface a bit and my tyres were not as sure-footed as Sunday, so I had to take it a little easy around the corners.

First 20 or so Kms  was as per Sundays ride.

Nungwane20081216001.jpg

Nungwane20081216002.jpg

Nungwane20081216003.jpg

And from there onto a piece of road I had never ridden and then onto bits I knew.

Knew this drift, and EssBee did some splashing for the camera. 

Nungwane20081216005.jpg

Approaching the Nungwane area

Nungwane20081216006.jpg

First view of the Nungwane falls. Unfortunately not much water. They must have closed off the sluices at the dam which is about 1Km upstream. 

Nungwane20081216007.jpg

At this point a young boy appeared out of the bush. I bribed him with Cappuccino and sweets to show us the track to the top of the falls. Not sure the bribe was needed as what he was really after was a ride on the back of the Katoom, and for that he was happy to show us the track.  

Nungwane20081216009.jpg

EssBee on the edge. I was happy where I was a few meters back.

Nungwane20081216011.jpg

Amazing views from up there.

Nungwane20081216014.jpg

Nungwane20081216015.jpg

Nungwane20081216016.jpg

Our guide invited some friends for cappuccino – no problem I had plenty.

Nungwane20081216017.jpg

Last look down the gorge, and from there on tar home.

Nungwane20081216021.jpg

One of the things I love about this part of the world is that you can fit a ride like this in a easy morning. We met up at 08:00, and were comfortably back by 11:00

Great riding, great roads and great company – Thanks Simon (EssBee) and the guide - whose name escapes me – it was complex.

Sharp report - looks like a lekker little ride. The track has been saved for future reference. MTB ride was kak, mud, chilly drizzle and my mate's new bike problems. Powered fiets are the only way.

husky said:
Powered fiets are the only way.

There are another kind ?  ::)

Well - that's the end of my rides in KZN for a while. Back to Gauteng this weekend and then to Hazyview - next report from down there.

Regards and thanks to Clive and the others if you see them again.

Ride well and safe.

husky said:
Sharp report - looks like a lekker little ride. The track has been saved for future reference. MTB ride was kak, mud, chilly drizzle and my mate's new bike problems. Powered fiets are the only way.

If you guys are in the area you may like to try the so-called "spider trail".  I would not attempt it again - I "layed the bike down" about four times, but on a slightly lighter bike, and with a more competant rider it should be okay.

The plastic bike guys do it often.

It has everything - Sand, water, rocks, rutts, ups and downs.

I believe it is a little worse now after the rains.

But if you can manage it, it is a stunning area to ride. It is the old service road for the Nungwane water pipeline (decomissioned) and it meanders back and forward along the Nungwane river from near the falls to the R603 near Adam's Mission.  Its only 10Km, but eish, I struggled.

I think it would be easier from falls to R603- there is a nasty, stony descent that I am sure would be easier up than down.

I have attached the combined tracks.

Attachments

• Nungwane_SpiderTrail.gpx
    91 KB
Thanks Peter for my introductory ride in KZN, good ride, good company, good guide, stunning terrain!!! :biggrin: :thumleft:

Jon, when are we going to Inanda Dam?! :biggrin:

Attachments

• Axo's on the edge.JPG
    Axo's on the edge.JPG
    215.5 KB
  • the other side.JPG
    the other side.JPG
    120.9 KB
My pleasure EssBee.

And if you go to Inanda with Jo(h)n give a shout - I have a GPS track I put together that takes in a number of the "things to see" and if you are a newby to the area, they are worth seeing.

I also have a manual roadbook I put together once - if I can find it.

Keep well and ride safe - I'm off to Gauteng and from there to ride in Hazyview over new year.

No rest for the little KLE, but I think she loves it - she gets grumpy if not ridden.

It was good to have made your aquaintance, and I hope I'll see you again when you're down in KZN! ;)

Any info regarding the Inanda Damm area will be appreciated, thanks for the tip!

Malibu said:
Mmmmm - Gunda, gonna have to find some spretty spectacular rides for Barberton area to try compete...   8)

That Barberton area is also stunning. Been there by cage only though.

I'll be with Cuzzin Anton (990) in hazyview - he knows many people in the Nelspruit / Hazyview area who ride so I'll pick his brain about the routes up that way as well.

Malibu said:
Smart plan.  I'll try get us permission to go to the big waterfall... you'll have to bring swimming gear!   :thumleft:

My Marico Oog / Durban Surf Speedo - not a pretty sight !  ;D  ;D

Gunda,

Send those tracks anyway if you can, I'm sure they'll come in handy. EssBee, I'm away for Christmas but back after that (27th or so) and will be in touch, I have now finished with work! Well for a week or so.

Lekka ride GG. The dogs are really all over the country  :biggrin:

husky said:
Gunda,

Send those tracks anyway if you can, I'm sure they'll come in handy. EssBee, I'm away for Christmas but back after that (27th or so) and will be in touch, I have now finished with work! Well for a week or so.

Ping Jo(h)n and Simon (Husky and EssBee)

I attach a few tracks from my "Valley Library"

Unfortunately they have been tarring a number of roads in the valley, so these are not all gravel, but nice roads to ride anyway.

The track to the top viewsite on Mtabatula above the Inanda dam wall may need some easy off-road bundu-bashing as they have built a few fenced houses for the Shembe priests up there. When in doubt follow the power lines.

The east track ("Ndwed") takes you from Verulam into the Valley via Ndwedwe.
The west track ("ToMaritz") is from Nagle dam up to Maritburg. 

RoutesValley.jpg