KZN - Mqeku Gorge visit. <<+ 2nd visit pics>>

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
Kymco (all models)
At the after-ride lunch at the Meerkats restaurant in Waterfall, someone remarked that you need at least two lifetimes to visit all the beautiful view sites reachable on an easy morning ride out of Durban.

True. It amazing what is out there – if you know where to ride.

Today was a case in point. It started with an interesting picture in Panoramio that I noticed while Google Earthing. I did a few web searches, found a number, made a few calls and found a most beautiful gorge with an amazing waterfall at the head.

This is one place I will go back to again – just to walk about a bit and chill, and I think an overnighter in the camp ground is definitely something to do.

It was a small group of just three bikes, myself on the 660Z, Two 1200’s - Mr Badger and his step son Dan on pillion, and JoshBeck with his wife Cass on the back.  The route we took was from Pinetown, down to Inanda dam, and then up the Mdloti valley, turning left out of the Valley of 1000 Hills towards Harburg just South of Ndwedwe.

On the way Mr Badger found a piece of bamboo and showed us his skill in tossing the caber. It does not look right without a kilt and sporran.

20110925Mqeku_02.jpg

I had pre-arranged permission with the owner of the Eagle’s View to visit the farm, and the first stop was for a team photo on the viewing platform overlooking the spectacular Mgeku river gorge and waterfall.

From left to right, Mr Badger, Cass, JoshBeck, me and Dan.

20110925Mqeku_03.jpg

I love their sign, and Mr Badger did a demonstration of what you would look like if you did go over the edge.

20110925Mqeku_04.jpg

Mr Badger found a track down to the top of the falls.

20110925Mqeku_05.jpg

20110925Mqeku_06.jpg

A pic of the camp ground – worth another trip for sure. Details are here:-
https://www.theamble.com/?action=listing&id=75

20110925Mqeku_07.jpg

From there along the edge of the gorge to get a better view of the falls.

20110925Mqeku_08.jpg

20110925Mqeku_09.jpg

20110925Mqeku_10.jpg

The Msilili falls were just a few Kms from the road back, and only Josh and I had seen them, so we took a short detour for Mr Badger, Dan and Cass.  

20110925Mqeku_11.jpg

20110925Mqeku_12.jpg

Cass found a patch of grass and spring flowers, and could not resist just lying there for a while.

20110925Mqeku_13.jpg

From there along the Mgeni and out of the valley at Monteseel, and a great lunch at the Meerkats in Waterfall.

Great day – thanks for the company guys !!

Latest posts