KZN - Overnighter to Highover Reserve, Qunu & Mkomazi Valley.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
Kymco (all models)
KZN weather has been a bit spiteful recently.

Before this weekend there were about three consecutive weekends when I  have either got wet, or have stayed at home sulking, so when Ian(The Tooth Doctor) & Debbie (The Shrink  ;D ) put up an invite for a weekend camping in the Highover private game reserve in the middle of the Hela Hela pass, and when the weather forecast was for no rain, I was quick to put my hand in the air. I had only ever visited the campsite once – to join Mr and Mrs Badger and a few friends for breakfast, and decided then that a night in the reserve was a must.

It was a great weekend – both the company and the riding, and a big thanks to Ian and Debbie for having me along.

Debbie has only recently taken to her own bike – a Yamaha 230 that has been street-legalized, and Ian has a DR650 that he has fitted a big tank to, and this weekend was for them to test the water at bike-camping for future trips.

For you guys who have not been there it is highly recommended.  Camping is R70 per person and there are toilets and showers provided.

For me it was also a bit of a learning curve as it was the first time I have ever done significant gravel on my bike kitted out with full panniers and all my camping stuff. I have always been a bit nervous and have slabbed with panniers to gatherings, taken them off, ridden and slabbed home. I need not have worried. It took a few KMS to get used to the extra load, and from there on both the bike and I forgot they were there.

This was the weekend route from my lodgings near Virginia.

110409Highover_22.jpg

We met in Northdene, and headed out to the Intake road, and from there took a detour to attempt the Inwabi mountain. Ian scuttled up quite a steep stony ascent, but I set a very poor example for Debbie by losing momentum on the ascent, and having to come back down, at which she, much to my relief, decided it was a bit beyond her current capabilities and so we set a course for Ufudu.

First tea break on the mountain where we were joined by the local herdsman for Cappuccinno. 

110409Highover_00.jpg

The road on Ufudu and the weird rocks on the mountain.

110409Highover_01.jpg

A piece of Shongweni dam visible from “Die Ou Voortrekker Pad”

110409Highover_02.jpg

From Eston Ian plotted a route through the farmlands to Richmond. On the way we met a slightly irritated farmer who told us that what mapsource showed as a public road was what he called a “bridle path”, but he let us ride through the cane plantations but asked us not to come back in winter because of fire risk.

A bit of mud, actually more  like half dry clay,  from the rain during the week. No problems or incidents.

110409Highover_03.jpg

110409Highover_04.jpg

Hela Hela pass road.

110409Highover_07.jpg

The road on the game reserve on the way down to the campsite.

110409Highover_08.jpg

My camp patch – the same one Mr and Mrs Badger used when we visited.

110409Highover_05.jpg

110409Highover_06.jpg

Semi-domesticated Impala on the lawns.

110409Highover_09.jpg

The Mkomazi River from the camp site.

110409Highover_10.jpg

110409Highover_11.jpg

Late Sat afternoon the Owner,  Dave, suggested a ride on the North (Richmond) side of the river. It is also part of the reserve and is about 7Km of fairly dense bush. A great ride and well worth a visit, but only rideable if you are an overnighter.

110409Highover_12.jpg

110409Highover_13.jpg

110409Highover_14.jpg

A nice pool and kloof at the end of the road. Dave says it nice for a swim if the water is a bit lower.

110409Highover_15.jpg

110409Highover_16.jpg

On Sunday I showed Ian and Debbie the Qunu falls. Not much water,  and hard to photograph.

110409Highover_17.jpg

110409Highover_18.jpg

Our route back was via Ixopo and then down into the Mkomazi valley.

110409Highover_19.jpg

110409Highover_20.jpg

Last view of the Momazi, up the hill to Mid Ilovo, and back.

110409Highover_21.jpg

Strange. It was only a two day ride, and 400Km home-to-home,  but felt like a bit of a micro-epic.

Thanks Ian and Debbie – let’s do it again !!  :ricky:

Nice one Gunda. One of the little jewels we have right on our doorsteps  :thumleft:

Battlestar said:
Nice one Gunda. One of the little jewels we have right on our doorsteps  :thumleft:

Yup.
I am thinking a "Bosberaad" at the campsite is a plan.
We slab it up Friday afternoon/eve.
Ride all the roads in the park and region Saturday. There is a whole day's riding there.
  Non riders and kids can chill/swim and chat to the Impala and Ostriches
Easy cruise back on Sunday.
Back to work Monday with a smile  ;D

Awesome stuff Gunda, thanks for sharing. KZN is a DS riders paradise :)

Nice one you guys.

Thanks for the RR and pics. :thumleft: :thumleft:

There is lekker yellow fish in that river.

Some of Ian's nice pics from the weekend.

Ufudu Mountain

110409Highover_Ian_00.jpg

Highover campsite and Gunda's backside. 

110409Highover_Ian_01.jpg

The reserve North road.

110409Highover_Ian_02.jpg

110409Highover_Ian_03.jpg

110409Highover_Ian_04.jpg

110409Highover_Ian_05.jpg

Qunu Falls

110409Highover_Ian_06.jpg

110409Highover_Ian_07.jpg

How I took my photos - Use a "Gorilla" to tie my camera on a stick and used the shutter delay - I have vertigo !!

110409Highover_Ian_08.jpg

The Mkomazi valley on the way back.

110409Highover_Ian_09.jpg

110409Highover_Ian_10.jpg

110409Highover_Ian_11.jpg

110409Highover_Ian_12.jpg

Thanks GundaGunda, super ride. Could you mail me the gps tracks pls. ;D

GundaGunda said:
Bashplate said:
Thanks GundaGunda, super ride. Could you mail me the gps tracks pls. ;D

Sure - Let me clean and filter it and I'll post it in this Fred - gimme a day or two.
Only saw this now, what a fantastic trip .
mmmmmmmmmm, Gunda and day or 2 for this track was on the 16 April 2011 boet?

Slakkie said:
. . . .Gunda and day or 2 for this track was on the 16 April 2011 boet?

Okay, so I'm a bit slow. . . .  ::)

Like .. . . . . .the . . . . . girl . . . . . .who. . . . . . used. . . . . . to. . . . . . talk. . . . . . so. . . . . . slowly. . . . . . that. . . . . . by. . . . . . the. . . . . . time. . . . . . she. . . . . . could. . . . . . say. . . . . . she. . . . . . was. . . . . . not. . . . . . that. . . . . . sort. . . . . . of. . . . . . girl. . . . . .  - she was !!! 

GundaGunda said:
Slakkie said:
. . . .Gunda and day or 2 for this track was on the 16 April 2011 boet?

Okay, so I'm a bit slow. . . .  ::)

Like .. . . . . .the . . . . . girl . . . . . .who. . . . . . used. . . . . . to. . . . . . talk. . . . . . so. . . . . . slowly. . . . . . that. . . . . . by. . . . . . the. . . . . . time. . . . . . she. . . . . . could. . . . . . say. . . . . . she. . . . . . was. . . . . . not. . . . . . that. . . . . . sort. . . . . . of. . . . . . girl. . . . . .  - she was !!! 
:imaposer: :imaposer: