KZN souti joins northe Cape bash

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slim Jim

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Yamaha XT660
Well this the first time I'm doing an R&R

This started with probebly 1 to many beers and a brain fart. 280o km 4 days [turned into 5] and mostly dirt.Did all my rought planing and was supose to leave friday morning early, but tinkering in work shop thursday and the bike packed and just looking at me ,,,,,,,,,,stuff let me leave now.Pitched up the wifes work and said good by.Left Mooi river and went back roads to Underburg got some borevorse and some bread rolls and had some slup chips and beer at th local pub and headed of to silverstreams camp.That's an awsome place and R150 for the night and had the entyre place to my self.lovely ablutions,peace and quite.set up camp and made a fire ,couple of wiskeys and went to sleep to the sound of rain on the tent

Attachments

• cokking day 1.jpg
    cokking day 1.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 633
  • morning of day 1.jpg
    morning of day 1.jpg
    162.9 KB · Views: 651
  • wet start day 2.jpg
    wet start day 2.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 660
  • just out side underburg day 1.jpg
    just out side underburg day 1.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 639
  • packed and ready to go.jpg
    packed and ready to go.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 649
day 2
Well it started off wet,made coffee wet suit on packed soggy kit and left around 7.30 [I figured I cut alot of milage off for Friday so there is no rush , well that turned into a brain fart] set off in the mud and did abit of tarr and dirt to mattatiela and filled up and stocked up with a six pack and carried on.the road was nice and did a casual ride to Maclair and had a street wize two and 2 snack burges and shoved them in my bag and set off to fined Potriver pass.My GPS couldn't pick it so I stopped and asked for directions from 2 teenage locals, I giggled at there answer [no we never saw athing and we never did nothing] Hell they did something alrite, well found the start o potriver and had a smoke break when a farmer stoped and asked were I was going.He said no Boet go through Barkley east to Rhodes , Naudeers nek is kak. I thought for abit and figuerd Ive done bezuidenhouts pass so how bad can it be [well another brain fart] Did pot river and got to Naudeers and what a balls up!!!! they were doing road works and it was just rocks and it was dark and my fork seals had gone and iesh it was long.Went down Carlisle pass and got to Rhodes at around 8.30 and nacked.Paid for camping , grabed a six pack at walker about and got to the camp site [R60]
The ablutions were locked and it was dark and I was tierd so I parked on the verander and put my sleeping bag down next to my bike,Had my snack burgers and a beer or to ,took my shoes off and climbed into my sleeping in full kit and rain suit and passed out for the night

Attachments

• morning of day 2.jpg
    morning of day 2.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 642
  • to roads in the dark day 2.jpg
    to roads in the dark day 2.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 622
  • top of nauders neck day 2.jpg
    top of nauders neck day 2.jpg
    4.7 KB · Views: 634
  • on my to rhodes day 2.jpg
    on my to rhodes day 2.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 633
  • on my to mattatiela day 2.jpg
    on my to mattatiela day 2.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 627
  • jenny's grave day 2.jpg
    jenny's grave day 2.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 616
  • nauders neck day 2.jpg
    nauders neck day 2.jpg
    173.1 KB · Views: 639
  • morning of day 2.jpg
    morning of day 2.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 638
  • day 2.jpg
    day 2.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 649
Slimjim, ek hoop jy het veilig by die huis gekom .
Was lekker om jou te ontmoet ( ons was mos bure  by Gariepdam Bash) en jy so flippen ver gery :ricky:
Hoop jy sort jou fiets vining uit sodat jy weer kan stof opskop.

Oh I never mentioned The grave is my sisters , I stoped in there between Underburg and Swatberg to pay a vizit and clean her grave and ahve a beer with and play catch up.

Day 3.
That started off early [concrete is rather hard] Quick coffee and packed up and set off for Barkley east.Lovely road and lots of twisties,a lesure ride to there ,it's a alrite little town,stocked up on a six pack and some fuel on went on the serch for Jouberts pass.Oh my hat what a place !!!! the pass was amaizingly buitifull. took my time on that one and was gob smacked for 80km into Lady Grey.That place is stunning.Filled gas and set off for Aliwal noth [ now there is a place I never left any thing......not my cup of tea , it stank proper] From there on I took every by road and dirt road I could fined to Burgers stad and Ventersstad. I got half way to burgerstad and stoped for a smoke break in the middle of nothing and the straight roads.A old man in a scruffy Hilux stoped and asked if everything is all good .Then he said.........F#$k seun wat doen jy heerrrr, seun ek se' jou [as he put his hand above his head] heer grooi F#@l all so hoog. I had the gigles with that one.pushed on to River destiney for the bash and got there around 5ish. Tent up , a good shower and a meet and greet .met some awsome people couldn't understand them as they spoke proper afrikaans ,nicks gemegle. Had a few cold ones and a braai bread to kill for and had an early night.

Attachments

• aliwal north day 3.jpg
    aliwal north day 3.jpg
    163.4 KB · Views: 629
  • top of Jouberts pass day 3.jpg
    top of Jouberts pass day 3.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 621
  • top of Joubersts pass day 3.jpg
    top of Joubersts pass day 3.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 614
  • smoke break day 3.jpg
    smoke break day 3.jpg
    173.1 KB · Views: 631
  • rhodes day 3.jpg
    rhodes day 3.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 627
  • morning day 3.jpg
    morning day 3.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 631
  • karroo flowers day 3.jpg
    karroo flowers day 3.jpg
    191.4 KB · Views: 606
  • barkley east day 3.jpg
    barkley east day 3.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 620
Day 4
I knew I was in for along day in the saddle ,up early and packed up and set off after coffee, I got lost getting out river destiny that took me awile to get out and then started the dirt to smith field. Iesh I never left anything there iether. That a strange place. well hit dirt to hobhouse with all the sand monstersfor around 80km [yup thers nothing in that place aswell. I couldn't get over how staight the roads are . learnt to ride with the left hans and chill on my tank bag.Had a beer in Ladybrand and sleeped to Clockerlaan,Ficksburg,Fouriesburg and Clarence.A staight and unaventfull ride.Had a propper steak and chips in Clarence and made my way to Golden gate and had a wiskey or 2 and slept like a dead man . that was along day in the saddle.Lovey place that.One of my high lights there was this couple unhooked there caravan in the road and I was thinking what the hell they going to sleep in the road? he popes up with a remote control and moved the thing all over the place , never new you could get remote controll stuff for toppies

Attachments

• beer on day 4.jpg
    beer on day 4.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 616
more of day 4

Attachments

• morning day 4.jpg
    morning day 4.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 614
  • to smith field day 4.jpg
    to smith field day 4.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 622
  • rode day 4.jpg
    rode day 4.jpg
    4.8 KB · Views: 591
naaice... :deal:

sorry bout your sister but good on you to visit  :thumleft:

day 5
Got woken by baboons big time. Had an awsome sleep and new it was only a 250 km trip home so I was in no hurry. I was packing up and sucking on a coffee and whatched a babbon steel next door bags and scoffing there food .Much to there disapointment . Well took a lesure ride home [hecktick wind at sterkfontian dam ] but that that cleared and got home around 2 and had a shower and a good kip [spent this morning doing washing and packing away] Need to get new fork seals and get that done and plan the next one. It was was awsome.

Attachments

• bridge hotel day 5.jpg
    bridge hotel day 5.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 616
  • morning day 5.jpg
    morning day 5.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 615
  • home day 5.jpg
    home day 5.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 594
Nice Ride report, thanks for sharing  :thumleft:

Nice meeting a rou engelsman  ;D

Lekker RR

Looking at all your luggage , you must of had at least 20 2l coke bottles of sea water for all the vaalies!  :peepwall:

Slim Jim said:
day 5
Got woken by baboons big time. Had an awsome sleep and new it was only a 250 km trip home so I was in no hurry. I was packing up and sucking on a coffee and whatched a babbon steel next door bags and scoffing there food .Much to there disapointment . Well took a lesure ride home [hecktick wind at sterkfontian dam ] but that that cleared and got home around 2 and had a shower and a good kip [spent this morning doing washing and packing away] Need to get new fork seals and get that done and plan the next one. It was was awsome.

Good taste in beer Slim Jim! O0

Nice one Jim and nice meeting you. :thumleft:

Hey Mate. Nice RR thanks for the share and ride, sounds like you had some fun.  ;D :ricky: