Leather boots, care and maintenance

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
Just thought I'd share two good points I learnt in the last week or two regarding the care of leather boots.

I was given a set of Diadora MX3 MotoX boots by my brother in law. They were in decent condition, only problem being the soles were pretty shot from the MX type foot pegs and they were in need of a little TLC.

I was advised to take them to a place called Rocksole, Whale Street in Cape Town (just off Buitengraght on the right as you are going up).
I asked them to resole them and I am absolutely amazed at what a good job they did, new toe caps and all for R370.00. You can see all the stiching is new and it goes right through the new sole. Must have been a hell of a job to do this. So if you need any boot repairs, try these guys. Excellent service as well.

I then asked my good mate at Leather for Ever what I can use to restore the leather bits of the boot, I told him I had dubin at home. He told me never to put dubin on a boot as it contains a large amount of fat which gets under the stiching, does not dry, eventually causing rot.

He advised me to go to the chemist and buy myself a tub of non scented aquius cream. Apply liberally to the leather parts of the boot, place in the sun for a while, then simply buff a little. I didn't have to go buy any because I use this cream everyday on my face after shaving. But I can say, it works wonderfully, these boots now look like new. So go buy yourself some brilliant "leather food" for R5.00 per tub.

Can be used on any leather product, boots, jackets, whatever...............