LeonDude solo to the bash

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeonDude

Bachelor Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Suzuki DR650
I'm leaving early on Saturday (tomorrow) morning for the bash, and will be using this thread to update you all on how things are going. I plan on sending pics through to Cave Girl now and again.

See you all at the bash!

LeonDude

We're also on our way this morning, plan to leave @ 08:00.
Abel is all packed, I'm still trying to get it all together  :eek:

Our route is via Northern Cape, down to Kimberley and then the Bash. From there meander back via Grootrivier Poort, Baviaans etc, taking another week to get back home.  ;D

LeonDude said:
Nice riding most of today, with lots of rain and mud. Sleeping at meiringskloof, hope rain abates.
go say hi to Nerine at the plaasstoep pub...shes there this weekend...tell her i say hi!

Taking photos of your bike in the pouring rain is proably not the greatest thing to do or so LD discovered yesterday ....  Which means I have now been co-opted to update this thread as the replacement phone does not have internet  :)

Day 2: Managed to find a dry spot to sit out the worst of the storm - Golf ball sized hail stones>
Got to Aliwal North as planned early afternoon. Camp site not great so opted for a dry bed at a B & B - at least one morning without a wimpy breakfast  :)
Although wet still having a jol

So much for a short day - early start and 4 hours later in a little town called Hoffmeyer and only 150km later - Mud Mud and more mud  - hard riding and lots of rain - advice - check the weather and if it says rain "stay on tar, these roads just turn into huge mud monsters!"
But I am still having fun!!!  :D

Cave Girl said:
Taking photos of your bike in the pouring rain is proably not the greatest thing to do or so LD discovered yesterday ....  Which means I have now been co-opted to update this thread as the replacement phone does not have internet  :)

Day 2: Managed to find a dry spot to sit out the worst of the storm - Golf ball sized hail stones>
Got to Aliwal North as planned early afternoon. Camp site not great so opted for a dry bed at a B & B - at least one morning without a wimpy breakfast  :)
Although wet still having a jol
We had some impressive thunderstorms on Saturday and Sunday morning, surprised LD has not drowned! :mwink:
Ride safe!

Arrived Nieu Bethesda around 3pm - Quote from LD "the road from the N9 is fantastic even in the mud - had I got here earlier would have been tempted to go back and do it again" however the town is not that great - most places were closed alreay when he got there just after 3. Staying at the back packers tonight - spotlessley clean if a litttle run down.
Off to Willowmore tomorrow - anyone stayed at the camp site at the caves? Weather report says it's going to be cold max temp 17Deg so he may opt out for a dry bed rather than a wet tent  :)

LD arrived in Willowmore around 4pm having stopped every 5km for photos as the scenery is really fantastic. Weather was great no rain though it did threaten - been stalked by a "pride" of Horses - yes we know they called a herd but they were in stalking mode  :)
Looking forward to the trip to Die Hell tomorrow

Hi all.

Sorry about drowning my phone and not being able to update this thread, but it is called adventure riding and bikes don't have windows you can close when it starts raining.
Ok what actually happened is that I got kuiering in Fouriesburg and then decided to take a picture of my bike on the way back to Meiringskloof. Idjit.

Full ride report will be on its way, but please be patient. It was a ten day trip and I've got over 600 photies to sift through, plus a lot of writing to do.
Stay safe riding!
LeonDude