Leo's Parys DeAar Adventure rally and more

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for bringing good memories back,  :thumleft:
You got to love those Karoo dirt highways  :biggrin:

Leo said:
More dirt highways in the Noord Kaap. Note the remains of a bird strike on my screen
35.jpg

Luckily you were not going fast. :biggrin:

Lekker eport once again, Leo and friends! :thumleft:

Hey Leo - thanks for the absolutely stunning RR!

I am not a man of many words, and not half as eloquent as Leo, but here goes...

...I often wonder how and why this tour was created - seemingly the main challenge was to see whether it would be possible to follow the flow of the Vaal- and Orange rivers from Parys to (obviously) De Aar, mimicking in many ways the name, challenge and concept of the Paris Dakar rally that we all know.

Another challenge was to see how much of the route could be traversed on gravel (I would guess that the track amounts to approx. 95% dirt...), and to see whether it could be possible to steer away from the usual tour concept where there is an assigned tour leader whom everyone follows throughout the exent of a trip.

Although the whole track is provided in the form of a GPS file, each participant has to face the challenge of sticking to the given route a closely as possible - this in turn brings along with it quite an interesting group dynamic...

To build on the group dynamic theme, all effort is made for this adventure to accommodate all brands of motorcycles, all types / ages / genders of people, and to ensure that these potentially volatile variables are glued together by the most basic of conduits: good food, good accommodation and adequate amounts of (predominantly liquid) refreshments :)

Here I must commend our hosts - the local people of Parys, Warrenton, Hopetown and De Aar really went out of their way to accommodate us. To give these people some exposure:

Parys - www.berakah.co.za
Warrenton - www.timkulu.co.za
Hopetown - https://www.wheretostay.co.za/thomassguestfarm/
De Aar - https://travel.iafrica.com/php-bin/travel/Accom_Details.php?ES_id=1765

People that also really went to great lengths of effort to make this adventure possible are

- Richard Sloman from Jeep SA - the poor man had to load bikes on and off, have punctures fixed, had to go look for damaged bikes in the night etc. etc. etc. I owe you big time boet!
- Roger and Eric from Bavarian Motorcycles - thanks for those awesome red fleece tops! Girls semi pass out when they see me in my jacket - I often consider mounth-to-mouth. Eish - your trailer also came back to Pretoria with 3 bikes loaded...
- Colin and Div - thanks for carting everyone's luggage around behind that beast of a Landy!
- Elf oil
- Ryder Motorrad
- Touratech

Also - watch out for the Leisure Wheels, Enduro World etc. magazines - there's bound to be some interesting material coming out of this trip.

Once I figure out how to paste pictures into there threads, I'll eloborate a bit more re. some of the sights and experiences.

In the meantime, to answer one of the questions previously posted - if you wish to be included in the invite list for next year, please send your details to [email protected].

Cheerio!

Fantasties Leo! Dankie vir moeite om met ons ander te deel! :thumleft:

Hey Leo Stunning RR...... :ricky: :ricky:now I know why you were in Herm's Anus the weekend..... :biggrin:

looks like you guys had a lot of fun but there was something missing in that pack of steeds...

if I am not mistaken...?????

The Dark side ..... :biggrin: :biggrin:

Nice report Leo!!  It seems like a good trip you had!!

Very nice Ride report.

Is this picture taken at Buffelsjag? It is a little closer to Gansbaai from Die Dam. About 20km from Pearlybeach
69.jpg

Thanks for the report. Looks like a great trip

Latest posts