Lesotho Circumnavigation

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SGB

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
Last weekend, my better half and I had some business to do in Mohaleshoek area.  This is on the West side of Lesotho, sort of Zastron / Wepener side.  So we arranged weekend "babysitters" for the kids, although they are not babies any more...  Left Friday AM, entered Lesotho via Matatiele at Qachasnek and rode all the way along the Senqu on that nice and windy tar road.  Nice relaxed ride, dodging some rainstorms (successfully) and stayed fairly dry.  Winter was in the air however.....  Arrived at our camping spot in a poplar bush, and relaxed around a fire for the evening.  Did our thing with the locals and all on Saturday, and packed up on Sunday morning.  Rode along past Mohaleshoek, out at Wepener (breakfast at Lord Fraser) and pushed past Ladybrand, Ficksburg, Clarens, Golden Gate, Bergville, Winterton, and back home.  We went through some wet and dry cycles at we hit rain at Ladybrand, Ficksburg, Golden gate and finally from Pietermaritzburg and through to home.  Fisrt time my wife did a 700 km day on the back, and she still loves me!  Great little outing, just the two of us on the road.  I can recommend it!  Apologies for not taking enough pics - we were busy.....

Attachments

• IMG_0326.JPG
    IMG_0326.JPG
    39.6 KB
  • IMG_0338.JPG
    IMG_0338.JPG
    35.3 KB
  • IMG_0361.JPG
    IMG_0361.JPG
    39.5 KB
  • IMG_0366.JPG
    IMG_0366.JPG
    23.1 KB
Nice one SGB. And well done to your better halve for riding 700km as your pillion.  The KTM's are known for their uncomfy pillion set-up.

For interest sake, what is your rear suspension settings? ???  Could be that mine is to hard/stiff, and thus M doesn't enjoy pillioning on the KTM.  :-[

My settings at at the book "sport" plus a bit more on the front preload and damping.

Also cranked up the rear preload a bit for my heavy  :eek: pillion and the extra luggage she brings along.  

My pillion says that the tighter she holds on to me, the better the ride becomes.  There is merit in this, because she "bounces" around less and stays as planted as I am when she holds on properly.  And she does not like the standing thing, she says the KTM seat is comfy enough.....  :-*

The one thing I realized again, is that TKC's are not great on wet tar.  Often lost traction under hard acceleration when passing trafic.  I made sure of adequate following distance to avoid the need for any hard braking, espacially on those shiny tar bits.

Nice one - I remember chasing Rod and Alfie down that road on their Rally bikes - not good for the TKC's but great fun. Richard Manning nearly bought a farm there.

BTW - does the kettle travel with you?

I think the pic with the kettle sums it up  ;D ;D

Thank SGB :thumleft:

Slick said:
Nice one - I remember chasing Rod and Alfie down that road on their Rally bikes - not good for the TKC's but great fun. Richard Manning nearly bought a farm there.

BTW - does the kettle travel with you?

You talking about RR 2007?  I have learnt that chasing Rod / Alf / Richard ends in blood and/or wasted cash.....  They are all in a different leauge to most people I have ridden with.....  And I have done quite a few miles with them.

Kettle - no, not mine.  Belongs to locals.