Let there be light, for 50 bucks

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sidetrack

Worshond
Reaction score
Ok so this could go under Pooratech or my bash prep but I guess equipment says it best. I had some idle time on my hands which is a dangerous thing as it usually involves me heading into the garage and eyeing my allready over pimped bike. Some time ago I added a 12v plug under the battery side cover and trying to copy Allover's setup decided to make my own energy saving camp light. So off to Lighting Warehouse and found a 12v bulb (13 watt) for R34 then to midas for a cigarette plug (male) R16 and finally the electrical shop for a fitting that cost a whopping R3.45.

Found a 10m piece of flex lying around in the garage which should be long enough to reach the nearest tree etc. Here is the basic setup with the Hot chocolate holder (yes folks this is cheap) acting as a housing for my little project.

DSCF8419.jpg

Where I installed my 12v plug.

DSCF8416.jpg

It has enough light to make it comfortable enough to pitch a tent or prepare some food etc, the garage was pitch black before I switched it on. It does however consume 1.1 A per hour and the DRZ only has a 7 Ah battery so I would not use it for more than an hour at a time, luckily the flex is long enough to quickly plug it into another unsuspecting dawgs ride or Captain Slow's Citi  >:D

DSCF8415.jpg

Browsing the outdoors shops it became clear that their are numerous of these setups avaliable with different lights (energy saving, led etc.) so building something like this does not make sense but it is cheap, small and compact. Once it's in the plastic container with some sponge packing and the cable flex rolled up it's a snug fit and should last in my Dirt Bagz. I'm going to check for a lower wattage as well and see how well it lights, the 7 watt should consume only 500 mA.