License of OFF Road bike

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

throttle jockey

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 950 SE
I have a off road CRF450X that I bought during my time off from my last big off on the MX track with the IDEA that when I am healthy again I will continue. WELL......

I never did.

So its been lying around since 2007 and other than a few rides in the bush it was as new.

About a year ago Edgy and I where talking and coupled with the article in Dirt and trail about Dessert Lizards conversion of his bike I made the decision to DS the bike.

Today I am finally finished

I started with just the bike and no papers.

Got hold of Honda George where I bought the bike to get the Enatis documents where I was told that they could supply but it could not be registered for the road as On the system it is classed as OFF ROAD.

With papers in hand I went to the traffic department withe the mind to register and see what happens.

REGISTERED????? no problem

Now I have a license number, its in my name but no disc

So now I have to go to road worthy

I find a long range tank on the forum for nada brand new in JHB. Jumped at it but not sure it will fit.

Put on all the necessary lights etc and a mirror. Tank fitted with some new pipes. And a GPS for a speedo

Some dot rated tyres.

Worried about the noisy Yoshi but decided to wing it. "Scuse the PUN"

Off to roadworthy....

Got there two minutes before closing. (like to do this as they are only interested in going home at this time)

6 minutes later I climb an my noisy bike with a roadworthy slip in hand.

Now for the last hurdle

I take all documents with Copies of ID's etc to the traffis depatment.

They punch in the reg and the register number.

ERROR!!!!!!!!!!!

WTF now

I look at the screen and say to her ( a newby) leave the license number out and put the VIN in.

WALA

I think I was very lucky as everything clearly states OFF ROAD but in my mind that is the model name HONDA gave my bike  ;)  :biggrin:
I would not know why so who am I to argue. :imaposer:

Printer buzzes I pay the license money and I have a fully licensed and registered bike.

I have also put on a 14th front and a 45th rear sproket.

Got now enough power to do the rear entry at Baviaans (did it 3 weeks ago) and a top GPS speed of 159km/h. Cruses quite happy at 120 to 130 km/h.

Man o man is this bike fun as a DS. I think my SE is now going to semi retirement. (Read not for sale but resting)

IMHO I see this as the way forward in DS in SA

Doing a trip to Koedoekloof this weekend. Cant wait till 6 tomorrow morning.

What now????

1. Well I might put on a cushdrive but I only ride gravel
2. A few more covers from Hyde
3. A giant loop for luggage.

Attachments

• DSC_0269a.jpg
    DSC_0269a.jpg
    314.3 KB · Views: 332
  • G1_20150528_124422.pdf
    464.2 KB · Views: 52