Local Suppliers - Am I Wrong?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mornevdw

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
AJS (all models)
Please let rip with your comments.

I am of the opinion that if you're a supplier of imported goods, and you do not add value to the product - you simply distribute it, adding a markup of more than 20% seems excessive. Now don't get me wrong, I get that not everyone is willing to import themselves (or buy over the net, or don't care for the warranty) and so there will be a market.
Also, I do like to support locals (espescially if they're WD's), but I cannot justify paying almost double and wait longer for delivery simply because the local guy needs to buy a new Prado or the manufacturer refuses to sell direct.

Am I wrong in my thinking? Is the general feeling that it's ok to pay so much more?

I simply feel shafted. You go to BMW for a simple spark plug, and it costs the world. You go to the net and research accessories, get the $ price, convert to Rands and when you find the local retailer, you see you needed to double the rand value!! If it was 20% more, fine, I'll support local, but not more (unless there is some other value added of course).