• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Wild Dog Adventure Riding and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Looking for a Dual Sport (adventure) Bike under R42k

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wideg3cko

Puppy
Reaction score
Bike
Yamaha XT660
Hi Guys

Hope this is posting in the right section for starters - apologies if not...

Ok, today, myself and a good buddy of mine made a 600km round trip to go look at a KLR in Somerset East.  THe advert was posted on gumtree, the owner, while not the most forthcoming of guys, didn't exactly gush with helpful information.  I didn't suspect anything until I got there, and the guys entire demeanor was cagey.  Then, when we get closer to the bike I start to see things that weren't in the photos, scratches, cracks dents etc (this may be common knowledge to some, but for me this was my first situation like this with blatant skulduggery) I actually think he blurred the photos on Gumtree on purpose to hide these indiscretions.  Basically, that bike had been pulled through its bum backwards, barely idled after 5 mins of riding, was dented, cracked, scratched and buggered in 30 different ways, and the engine didn't have the power to pull the skin of a cold cup of milk.  It had such bad lower end bearing knock as well and sluggish throttle response that I was also sure there was a ring problem in there somewhere...  Long story short, when the guy told my buddy "nothing is wrong with the bike, its in good condition" he lied outright and tried to sell is lemon on to us. *rant over* :dousing:

So, we are on the lookout for a decent dual sport bike.  I hazard to say the budged is R42k because an argument can always be made for more.  Buddy is partial to the KLR 650 from 2007 onwards, as well as an XT660r of the same vintage.
*EDIT*  Ok, firstly, thanks so much to those who have replied and PM's me - this edit is because im a noob - my buddy is a 6ft4 mountain weighing around 120kg (so it NEEDS to be an adventure bike :biggrin: ) - and I should have said he's looking for more of an adventure bike than a dual sport (I have edited the title accordingly)  Sorry if this has caused a hassle  :peepwall:

Please, if anyone has one they are sort of looking to sell, but haven't quite made up their mind yet, or knows a mate in a similar situation, please let me know.  At this point in time the cash is burning a hole in his pocket :p  Any advice here is welcome, but just so we avoid well-intended help being wasted, BMW and KTM is out of the question due to the spares and maintenance costs...

Guys, thanks for reading!

Much love

wideg3cko