Loskop F800 at 140+ km/h

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Du Plessis

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F800GS
Guys (and gals), I'm looking for some advice.

I get some headshake when travelling on tar at 140kph+, especially while accelerating.  The funny thing is, it doesn't always happen.  It typically happens on a cold morning for the first 10k's or so (presumably until the tires warm up?) and when there is a lot of wind and/or buffeting.  Also seems to get worse when accelerating uphill.  The quicker I accelerate, the worse it gets.  Having said all of that, it seems to happen for no reason at all sometimes.

My setup is as follows:
- Ohlins suspension on the back with Ohlins progressive fork springs in the front.
- Excel rims front & back
- Heidenau K60 front; Metzeler Karoo back
- Std screen

I bought the bike with this setup and have never tweaked any of the settings (don't know the first thing about suspension setup :( ).  All I can tell you is that the rear suspension has 45-odd clicks between soft and hard, and mine is set smack in the middle.

Does anyone have any suggestions for me to try?  Pls bear in mind that the bank manager...er...let's say....doesn't want to know me anymore :)