Lowvelders to the Richtersveld

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As we eventually complete the pass, I look at my watch and realise that we spent way too much time negotiating a fairly short distance.

We take shortcuts to get to Lutzville as quickly as possible. I phone Amsterdam for advice on timing on our route and it becomes apparent that we are going to have a very though time making Hondeklipbaai before dark. I shift focus and urge the guys to get going. Our goal will now be to get through the West Coast sand before sunset….. something that turned out to be harder than I thought. We reach the coast At 15:20 and go about negotiating the sand. The three newbies have never ridden in sand other than short stretches on our rides in the Lowveld

Lowvelders p@&$;?! Into the wind 🫣

IMG_5848.jpeg

One advantage of the 990's is that they "fall so well", the same fall on a 790/890 will almost certainly have financial implications. I like the Colours Light blue,Orange and white on the one 990, something different.

As we eventually complete the pass, I look at my watch and realise that we spent way too much time negotiating a fairly short distance.

We take shortcuts to get to Lutzville as quickly as possible. I phone Amsterdam for advice on timing on our route and it becomes apparent that we are going to have a very though time making Hondeklipbaai before dark. I shift focus and urge the guys to get going. Our goal will now be to get through the West Coast sand before sunset….. something that turned out to be harder than I thought. We reach the coast At 15:20 and go about negotiating the sand. The three newbies have never ridden in sand other than short stretches on our rides in the Lowveld

Lowvelders p@&$;?! Into the wind 🫣

View attachment 916186
In the WC, one of the first lessons you learn is to always pee in down wind direction!!! ;)
How was Hondeklipbaai? LAst we were there the town was without water for a few days already. Apparently it happened frequently a year or so ago. Really hope it is now sorted as it is such a nice destination !

In the WC, one of the first lessons you learn is to always pee in down wind direction!!! ;)
How was Hondeklipbaai? LAst we were there the town was without water for a few days already. Apparently it happened frequently a year or so ago. Really hope it is now sorted as it is such a nice destination !
Hondeklipbaai was good…. No water issues.

Janus is n agricultural engineer from Nelspruit and was the accidental clown of our trip….

IMG_6193.jpeg

Things start off easy… I try to make it to all the gates first to allow the newbies in the group to keep momemtum and energy levels up…. Open gate, let everyone through and then race to front again to hopefully be first at the next gate.

IMG_5850.jpeg

Nico assists with this “task” and we get a good pace going….. but we haven’t really hit the sandy patches yet..🫣

IMG_5854.jpeg