Luggage system , modification

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeff

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW (all models)
So after my accident last year , the rear carrier on the back of my KLE was destroyed . I never replaced it (for various reasons) , anyway its time to ride again , going on my first weekend trip in a year. I ended up with a problem of not being able to fit all my gear on the bike with no topbox. I used to put a lot in the topbox and then I would stap the tent and mattress in front of the topbox across the seat so that the ends rested on the soft panniers.

Because I never had luggage racks the soft panniers used to hang a bit (Like a saggy boob) never really liked this .

So today I decided to do something about this problem. I had some leftover cotton webbing from a job I did .I took the webbing and riveted it at the bottom of the velcro that joins the two soft luggage bags. I brought it round and at the top I put quick release buckles.

I then took an old tankbag that was so huge , I dont know what tank it ever fitted. I cut off the magnet flaps , put some velcro at the bottom , some velcro on top of the soft luggage joining staps and, Bobs your uncle. I now have a soft topbox, and I can fit my tent and mattress on either side if it , and my ajustable webbing staps hold everything together quite nicely and the lift my soft panniers. And no stitching I riveted everything together.

Attachments

• luggage system.jpg
    luggage system.jpg
    22.7 KB
  • luggage system 1.jpg
    luggage system 1.jpg
    27.2 KB
  • luggage system 2.jpg
    luggage system 2.jpg
    25.5 KB
  • luggage system 3.jpg
    luggage system 3.jpg