Malealea Funduro - a plastic bike ride of note in Lesotho

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michiel

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Kawasaki KLR 650
The Kawasaki dealership in Bloemfontein, Bloem Powersport, organized a 2-day plastic bike weekend ride from
Wepener to Malealea in Lesotho and back to Wepener and invited me. I was in but concerned the ride will be
too conservative and boring. Literally minutes before we left Wepener help arrived in the form of Graham Machlachlan
and his usual squad of dirties. With the blessing of the Kawasaki guys I joined Graham's KTM squadron and off we
went on an ride of note!

As the Kawasaki team rode along on the tarred roads and crossed the border in a legal manner we donnered down
some mountains and raced up riverbeds littered with quicksand deathtraps. We arrived at Malealea to stay for the
night but not before Graham took those who had energy left on a senset ride to the river.

The next day we took a more interesting route through the mountains East of Malealea. I haven't had so much fun
in a loooooong time! Awesome, awesome AWESOME!!! I never thought I would access the almost impenetrable mountains
of Lesotho in this way. Words fail. I'll let the pictures and video do the talking.

Unfortunately these rides are too rough for taking my R 15 000 camera along so the pictures are from my cellphone
and regrettably poor in quality but it's better than nothing.

This picture is a freeze frame from a video Graham Maclachlan took on the second day of riding and should serve to wet your apetite.

Malealea01.jpg

The start of day 2. Descending a rather gnarly path.

Malealea02.jpg

The view of the opposite side of the river. See the frost still in the shadow.

Malealea03.jpg

Andy making his way down after missing the turn and having to back-track.

Malealea04.jpg

Crossing the river.

Malealea05.jpg

Malealea06.jpg

Malealea07.jpg

The river was about half a meter deep but because the sand below sucked the wheels down we had to resort
to pushing the bikes.

Malealea08.jpg

Malealea09.jpg

Some bikes drowned and had to be pulled out.

Malealea10.jpg

The Wolf boys working the water out of a machine.

Malealea11.jpg

The other dirties demonstrating a different method.

Malealea12.jpg

The climb out the other side.

Malealea13.jpg

Looks can be deceiving and in this case they are. These rocks are lose and jagged! Riding up here I had to
hold on for dear life and pray my little KDX knows the way.  ;D

Malealea14.jpg

Andy. He was visiting from Britain and never been on a ride like this.

Malealea15.jpg

Malealea16.jpg

Malealea17.jpg

Malealea18.jpg

Malealea19.jpg

Riding in this terrain I gained more and more respect for the little KDX. He's like a naughty little
mountain goat. Light footed and agile while not making a fuss. Stunning little toy defying the odds.

Malealea20.jpg

A beautiful view and a moment to catch your breath.

Malealea21.jpg

Besides the otherwise KTM domination there was also a Husaberg to break the orange mass.

Malealea22.jpg

Lekkerrrrr.

Malealea23.jpg

Well deserved rest stop and what a oasis in the mountains.

Malealea24.jpg

No 8 looking good and ready for more fun.

Malealea25.jpg

Malealea27.jpg

The "road" ahead.

Malealea28.jpg

2 smoke and noise as we battle the mountains.

Malealea29.jpg

Malealea30.jpg

Malealea31.jpg

Malealea32.jpg

Sometimes the mountain win.

Malealea33.jpg

Malealea34.jpg

Luckily there are friends to help.

Malealea35.jpg

Malealea36.jpg

Malealea37.jpg

Friends to point the way even though you might think they're MAD!

Malealea38.jpg

Another well deserved rest stop.

Malealea39.jpg

To fix a petrol leak. Thanks Kevin.

Malealea40.jpg

Finally. The video!!! Turn the sound up and listen to the commentary. Enjoy!  :ricky:

[flash=700,420]https://www.youtube.com/v/nVeL35Y-MCY[/flash]

Faark!!   :eek7: You guys organised a proper opfok for yourselves!! Awesome! :thumleft:

Enjoyed the video!

masehare! this is not a ride report it's a afkak report!  :eek7:

nice one Michiel!
:lol8:

Ek dink jy is vokken mal !

Awesome - wish I was there !

Just Blip It! said:
Faark!!   :eek7: You guys organised a proper opfok for yourselves!! Awesome! :thumleft:

Enjoyed the video!

Thanks for watching. Always nice to share and to know the hours of editing didn't go to waste.  :thumleft:

I've said this before but I can kick myself for not getting a plastic sooner. Those who haven't tasted the
freedom won't know but they open up a whole new world of riding. I miss the dunes but Lesotho makes
up for it for sure.

Wooooooo Hooooooooo  Looks fantastic Michiel.

Had some fun on my KDX this weekend Michiel before it got rained out!!!!