Memel cold weather warm hospitality, bikers über welcome.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ColD

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Triumph 800 XC
So 3 of us set out for Memel this last weekend past, what I found.

Some great roads to ride in the area, if you go directly there it is about 2 1/2 hours to get there, and the only place to stay is the Memel hotel, great atmosphere, good food and super route advice.

I would recommend it as a weekend or even a couple of days, as a destination to explore from.

Personally I can't wait to go back for a few days to really enjoy what the area has to offer.

Thanks to Chris who runs the Memel hotel, he was a great host and was quick to help out in getting one of the bikes jump started, sent us off with a spare set of jumpers he had, thanks Chris you Rock mate.

So not much if a ride report, as 1 night is just too short and we merely got a small taste, but next time will be a proper outing with 2 days of exploring.

See you all soon in the last outpost of the Freestate.

No pics to share? I have been wanting to visit Memel for a while, but just don't get around to it!  :thumleft:

Al die foto kykery maak n mens se oe seer :peepwall: >:D

Julle moet laat weet as julle weer hier is, ek is op Volksrust, kan v een of twee manne dalk slaap plek he

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You guys must  do the Memel 100 that Chris & Audrey have organised before... wonderful hospitality & lekker riding. I think there's a ride report on the forum. Yes it does get cold in winter here! OBCS is part of your survival pack! :thumleft:

A beautiful part of the world and even better knowing you can stay over at the hotel as a stop over with Chris and Audrey in charge.

agreed
:)

ColD said:

Some great roads to ride in the area, if you go directly there it is about 2 1/2 hours to get there, and the only place to stay is the Memel hotel, great atmosphere, good food and super route advice.

I would recommend it as a weekend or even a couple of days, as a destination to explore from.

Personally I can't wait to go back for a few days to really enjoy what the area has to offer.

Thanks to Chris who runs the Memel hotel, he was a great host and was quick to help out in getting one of the bikes jump started, sent us off with a spare set of jumpers he had, thanks Chris you Rock mate.

So not much if a ride report, as 1 night is just too short and we merely got a small taste, but next time will be a proper outing with 2 days of exploring.

mmmmm, your name and jumpstarting a bike...I remember this story from last year as well  :peepwall:

Saturday morning was alright, we only started riding at about 10 but Sunday morning when we came back a little earlier saw us stopping about 50k's out of town to get all the extra kit on,, and the wind,,, great ball's of fire,, we were riding at serious angles on straight roads,, all the way back to PTA !

StuartC said:
Saturday morning was alright, we only started riding at about 10 but Sunday morning when we came back a little earlier saw us stopping about 50k's out of town to get all the extra kit on,, and the wind,,, great ball's of fire,, we were riding at serious angles on straight roads,, all the way back to PTA !
Yup... the Freestate wind can be a real bugger!... waiting for some pics :deal:

Spent a few days there recently while returning from KZN Battlefields... did a some of the passes, very nice place to ride, Chris and his missus are great hosts... some go pro footage from our ride up Normandiens here

https://youtu.be/-bLIuVzdVS4

Pete

Nice video,nice music to go with it but why not go slower and take in the views more?

cheers
thks

LYCAN said:
ColD said:

mmmmm, your name and jumpstarting a bike...I remember this story from last year as well  :peepwall:

Not my bike this time  :biggrin:

BLK said:
Nice video,nice music to go with it but why not go slower and take in the views more?

cheers
thks

If you think that was fast, best not go for a ride with the rebel dogs  :pot:

Agree... if I'd gone any slowwer I would have lost momentum and bliksemed over  :imaposer:

Pete