Memel long weekend

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doringboom

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Suzuki DL 1000 V-Strom
Hallo everybody,

The past weekend was a long weekend here in SA, with Monday being National Braai Day ;D For quite some time I have planned something biking related for this weekend. As the time came closer, Memel in the eastern Free State as destination won the toss. Lately Memel and vicinity seem to feature more and more in magazines of all sorts as a worthwhile outdoor destination and also on this Forum (Mr Adventurer and Co., if I think quickly). On Saturday morning Alet and I departed from Pretoria on a loaded Tiger:

Day 1: Pretoria â?? Delmas â?? Leandra â?? Standerton â?? Vrede â?? Memel (310 km)

Here is our accommodation in Memel for the weekend. There are a fare number of B&Bâ??s in Memel.

Memel1.jpg

Then there is the hotel, with the outside verandah recently blown off by a strong wind. The bar was packed to capacity with a loud crowd cheering the Springboks against Tonga. Apart from the odd DS bikers we saw coming and going, there were a few resident superbikers at the hotel for the weekend. Over the evening braai they told us about their plans to ride to Clarens the next day.

Memel2.jpg

Memelâ??s beautiful Dutch Reformed church forms a focal point on the far end of the main street.

Memel3.jpg

After having a beer on the hotelâ??s stoep and exploring the little town on foot, we went for a late afternoon ride halfway on the tar road to Newcastle, over the Bothaâ??s pass. Over the crest of the pass and into KwaZulu Natal (KZN) there is this lookout point. Like in case of so many other similar sites in SA, some people rather consider it as a refuse dump :'(

Memel4.jpg

Day 2: Memel â?? Mullers pass â?? Normandien pass â?? Verkykerskop â?? Memel (176 km)

After breakfast we headed off on the S17 dirt road in the direction of Mullers pass. Cattle farming is big in this part of SA.

Memel5.jpg

The area has recently experienced some big veld fires due to the long dry season and some strong winds.

Memel6.jpg

Even without any rain, the vegetation on the older burnt areas has recovered remarkably well.

Memel7.jpg

Just over the crest of Mullers Pass we stopped on the inside of this horseshoe shape the road makes. From here one can see for miles over the outspread KZN in the distance.

Memel8.jpg

When I climbed over the barrier on the outside of the turn, I made this find :eek:: A bikerâ??s bum bag, containing amongst others some emergency tools, medical utilities and almost R400 in cash. Unfortunately I could find no trace of a name or number which could be helpful in finding the owner. I guess the owner had a smoke at the spot and, in an absentminded state, just got on his bike or quad and rode off ???

Memel9.jpg

I closed the bag and loaded it on the Tigerâ??s carrier. I left the bag, with everything inside as I found it, in the possession of the owner of the B&B where we stayed. He has promised to spread the word among all the accommodation establishments in Memel. I hope the owner of the bag make the effort to enquire, as I believe his realization of his loss must have been a severe shock.

Memel10.jpg

The view from Mullers pass, with the road for us to follow.

Memel11.jpg

After following the Newcastle â?? Normandien tar road along the southern foothills of the Drakensberg mountains for just over 20km, we turned northwards again. This time we were heading back to the Free State via the Normandien pass.

Memel12.jpg

The Normandien pass is a horse of a different colour  >:D â?? much more challenging than the Mullers pass.

Memel13.jpg

Mercifully the steepest slopes are paved with cement, otherwise the loose rocks that are dug up by 4X4â??s would have created a severe obstacle. From here we could see the water of the Chelmsford dam in the distance.

Memel14.jpg

Still further up we had to go!

Memel15.jpg

The road surface looks much worse at many places, but I did not risk the chance to stop for a photo. You have to keep going!

Memel16.jpg

Ditto. Like on Mullers pass, we did not encounter a single vehicle on the whole of the Normandien pass. For a long weekend within the school holidays it was almost too good to believe :eek:

Memel17.jpg

With the Normandien pass behind us, we were back in the Free State with its beautiful weeping willows.

Memel18.jpg

For quite a distance I was a bit uncertain about exactly whereto we were going, but eventually these road signs gave some idea.

Memel19.jpg

We turned right for Verkykerskop. It is then when you see this flattop mountain in the distance.

Memel20.jpg

After about 12 km we arrived at the Harrismith â?? Verkykerskop tar road. The flattop mountain then looks like this.

Memel21.jpg

After another 5 km we arrived in the mighty metropolis of Verkykerskop :D

Memel22.jpg

On enquiry at the local restaurant about the prospect of us having lunch there, we were told that they are fully booked. So we had to settle for takeaway cooldrink and cookies on the stoep. Just when we were about to leave for Memel we saw the first motorbikes for the day ;): Two KZN couples on 1200 GSâ??s pulled in from Memelâ??s direction.

Memel23.jpg

The road from Verkykerskop to Memel is quite scenic at places. It has bits of tarred surface here and there.

Memel24.jpg

Day 3: Memel â?? Vrede â?? Standerton â?? Leandra â?? Delmas â?? Pretoria (310 km)

After breakfast it was time for us to leave :( Memel and its people were very kind to us. Thank you ;)

Memel25.jpg

Thatâ??s all folks! I hope we will see some more Memel photos here from Wilddogs that will be taking part in the Steve Swanepoel memorial ride the middle of October. Maybe it will be mud and green veld for you lot and not dust and burnt veld like we experienced!

Regards

Doringboom 8)

Looks like a stunning area to ride! Thanks for the report and pics ;D
BTW, what's that rather interesting pump on your luggage carrier?

Nice report. We are planning to go to that part of the world end Oct - your report helped with the planning!

Nice verslag Doringboom.......mooi area en nice fiets

Thanks for all the comments gentlemen!

letsgofishing said:
...BTW, what's that rather interesting pump on your luggage carrier?

That is a proper hand tyre pump I have for many years. As long as I have space, I take it along. (But I still hope that I will never need it, and the same for all the other repair goodies!)

Nice report Doringboom. I still like the looks of that bike!  ;D

Hey doringboom , i was in that their pub cheering on the bokke ..in yr first pic you can see my car  ;D

Yeah i know i know ....i should of been on the bike but damnit i had to take everything incl the kitchen sink ....  ::)

Great area, tourism is booming ....

Nice report. :thumleft:

Lesson from this report: Put your name and contact number in all belongings that might get lost. Who knows, some kind soul may find it and try to return it to you.

IceCreamMan said:
Hey doringboom , i was in that their pub cheering on the bokke ..in yr first pic you can see my car  ;D

Yeah i know i know ....i should of been on the bike but damnit i had to take everything incl the kitchen sink ....  ::)

Hallo Mr IceCreamMan,

What a coincidence! Or shall I say small world? I hope you have enjoyed Memel just as much as I did 8)

One of my favorite destinations to ride, I lived in Newcastle for years and never knew the treasure that surrounded me, cant wait to go back.

Damn, how this post makes me long for that area. Stayed in Newcs for 6 years, and drove some of those roads by car. Would love to do them again.

Thanks for a very nice report!  8)

Doringboom said:
IceCreamMan said:

Hallo Mr IceCreamMan,

What a coincidence! Or shall I say small world? I hope you have enjoyed Memel just as much as I did 8)

Yip,exellent little hideaway not that far from JHB. I go to memel 3 or 4 times a year ...most relaxing amd the new owners of the hotel have made some positive changes..

nicki said:
Damn, how this post makes me long for that area. Stayed in Newcs for 6 years, and drove some of those roads by car. Would love to do them again.

Thanks for a very nice report!  8)

When was that nicki, my Dad used to own the Newcastle Advertiser???

Nice trip!  We did some of those roads in May during the Kawasaki Explore thingy.  Normandienpass was a highlight!  Would mind going back to the area myself... (also used to live there...)

Love your review!!! Do you have any GPS coordinates of the trip?
I see you mention a memorial trip end of October. Have you got more detail for this?

Hallo Easybeat ;)

Welcome to the Forum! I am honoured to have your first posting as a response to my report. This Forum is the best reading any office can have :D

Unfortunately I have no GPS info on the exact route we did. I am still one of the map and roadsign type of riders. The full range of 1:50 000 maps at my work, however, does help a lot in doing some planning beforehand.

Regarding the Steve Swanepoel Memorial Ride: According to the owner of the B&B where we stayed, this will take place during the weekend of 13, 14 October. I am not sure for how many riders it will cater, but apparently they will ride seven mountain passes in one day.

I have also read something on this ride, but I cannot remember where and when. Maybe you can post a question on this under the General section. I am sure a whole lot of members will also welcome you to the Forum and will give their kind advice. Enjoy, and remember the photos!

Thank you for sharing ... I lived in that area many years ago and had some businesses in Newcastle.

thanks doringboom. as always, a pleasure to view your report ;)

Looks like all the wildogs went out to play this weekend.Thats me and Hellhound sitting
on the stoep with a coke and samie.The Dakie being mine and the katoom belongs to hellhound. Mate off mine owns a farm on the Verkykerskop road and we go there often.
Bit disturbing when we left the hotel to go out to the farm and see all the locals trying to save the farm from the fire, aparently lid by some off the quid bikers.

Some off the farmers are up in arms and we did not get a very good reception when we arived on the two bikes.We  jumped in and helped but most off the damages was done.

Maybe a lesson to all including Quad bikers is to be  ecofriendly and respect other peoples privacy.The Memel croud loves the bikers and it is  the best riding area close to Jhb and Pretoria.

But iff we are there next time we should have a beer or two.

Will post a couple pics later.

SPYKER VAN SPRINGS said:
...... Thats me and Hellhound sitting
on the stoep with a coke and samie.The Dakie being mine and the katoom belongs to hellhound.....Bit disturbing when we left the hotel to go out to the farm and see all the locals trying to save the farm from the fire, aparently lid by some off the quid bikers.....

My goodness :eek: The world is becoming smaller still :D While briefly checking out the two bikes, I did not see any Wilddog sign. Otherwise I would have loved to meet the two of you.

Yes, veldfires and the damage it cause are not pleasant to see :'( It will be a sad day if bikers are to become associated as a cause thereof :-[ I hope the rains will be kind to all the farmers!

Latest posts