midlife refurb

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cage

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
AJS (all models)
The suspension was starting to feel decidedly 2nd hand after a recent Tankwa trip - actually it had been feeling like that for some time. Last time that shock was serviced was about 10 years and about 50k km ago......

Thanks to Superfoxi for servicing the rear shock, and re-packing the silencer. Quick work, and feels like night and day compared to when I dropped the shock off.

Front forks - had already been running yacougar progressive springs for years, and ran 7.5 weight oil, but always suffered deflection on high-speed damping (ie. over sudden bumps). Low speed damping was ok. Brought in some teknik cartridge emulators from Australia and fitted those with 5wt oil. Huge difference on the high speed damping, and low speed remains largely unchanged.

New seals for the pro-link pivot and swingarm pivot, with a clean out and re-grease. You wouldn't have said that the swingarm pivot is 30 years old........still looked brand new when I pulled it. Seals on the pro-link pivot were due for replacement, but the inner lip seems to have kept most of the kak out of the bearings.

Caught the clutch cable in the nick of time....! Fortunately always carry a spare, so had one in stock. Also fitted my new spare clutch lever - the old one was pretty worn after 17 years of offroad riding. Amazing how used one becomes to a heavy clutch pull. With the new kit fitted, you can hardly feel the pressure.

Anyway - on for the next 110k km,,,,,,

First ride after re-assembly........mainly due to the miserable weather we've had for every weekend in recent memory......
20240620_145303.jpg20240620_145314.jpgIMG-20240630-WA0001.jpg

20240803_173619.jpg