Mighty Men Conference 2009

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SGB

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
My ride to the MMC, solo for the long stretches there and back and with some friends in the vicinity.
Left on Thursday morning, staying on gravel as much as possible.  Bloem, Exelcior, Marquard, Senekal, Harrismith
Typical Freestate gravel road.  Quite a lot of corrugations, but worth missing the trafic.

IMG_2270.jpg

From Harrismith, headed for Bezuidenhouts pass, have not been there for some years.  It was good to see that it has deteriorated somewhat since it was fixed up, you have to look where you go here and there.

IMG_2272.jpg

IMG_2274.jpg

IMG_2276.jpg

IMG_2282.jpg

IMG_2283.jpg

And some more to Bergville, Mooirivier and down to Pietermaritzburg where I stopped at Alfie's shop for a new rear tyre.  Was not going to get back with the rubber I had left.....

IMG_2284.jpg

Slept at Alfie and Hazel's farm at Cato Ridge, great to see them again!  Thanks to you 2 for the hospitality!  :thumleft:

IMG_2285.jpg

Visited some more friends in the evening and next morning, great to be in the land of the shark again!

The next day we left for the conference - myself, Alfie and Andy.  Set up camp under the pine trees and enjoted the weekend and all that went with it.  I am not going to share much detail about the conference, I see there is a lot of debate about that already, including here on the forum.  All I will say is that I have been going for some years and really have a blessed time every year with friends from all over.  And I praise God for that.  We are in revivial and I am part of it!

The trip there, through Karkloof - my friends have a racing heritage, not much time for pictures.....

IMG_2286.jpg

Some traffic

IMG_2289.jpg

The stage

IMG_2306.jpg

IMG_2307.jpg

Went for a ride after Saturday morning's service, great to go back to some favourite spots in the Karkloof / Gilboa area.  Nice riding.

Quad racing friend Dallie, he rides a proper bike as well now and again....   :mwink:

IMG_2308.jpg

Andy and the falls

IMG_2311.jpg

Pizza shop in Howick, bit of a variation from the hotdogs back at camp

IMG_2314.jpg

Joined by some others in town - nice mix, but the guy in the foreground did not want to let down his tyres for the trip back, so we were on out own again.   ;D

IMG_2315.jpg

Our campsite - entertained some visitors here as well!

IMG_2319.jpg

Sunday was misty in the morning, nice and cool.

IMG_2322.jpg

Packed up, the Cato Ridge boys went off and I headed for the Freestate.  Found some friends braaiing before I was at the gate and stopped to have lunch with them first.  Dankie Derick and oom Willie!

Eventually left at about 14:30 just when the rain really started threatening.  The traffic was still heavy, but being on the bike I was out of there fairly quick.  It was a bit cold and very windy - especially at Oliviershoek pass.  Took gravel from there to Bethlehem, then high tailed on the tar to Bloemfontein.  Arrived cold, tired and refreshed.   8)

Great weekend out - we will be back if at all possible!

Hi Edgy, No, Dallie has his own one.  Alfie had to go home for the Junior Motocross at Highstakes on Saturday, so he did not ride with us on the day.

Hi SGB

Glad you enjoyed coming back to the Midlands.

You took the same route through Karkloof to get to Greytown as I did.

Hi Jon, yes, I especially enjoy the section behind the falls towards the polo fields, and the firebreaks between the forests next to Mondi towards the Greytown - Mooirivier road.  KZN has the best riding, no doubt!  :thumleft:

Nice one SGB - thanx for sharing

Nice one SGB  :thumleft: Cant wait for the RR 2009, did some nice routes on my way from eshowe via Kranskop, Had a peek at our campsite in Hermannsburg and spoke to some locals, they planning to make this one a real one to remember. There is a road all the way up to the Krans at kranskop, this is the real "orange country".......

Attachments

• Copy of mmc 2009 005.jpg
    Copy of mmc 2009 005.jpg
    80.3 KB
  • mmc 2009 009.jpg
    mmc 2009 009.jpg
    70 KB
Thanx for reporting on your trip to MMC. Also attended with my swaer on his F650GS - what an uplifting experience to attend with so many thousands in such a beautiful part of our country, can't wait for MMC 2010!
Took the route via Colenso and Weenen. Past Weenen around a tight righthander a guy lost it and ended up on the other side of the fence (see the dropper) - although his bike is a right-off its a blessing that the rider was ok - walking around speaking to his assurer over the cell! The trip back to Gauteng on Sunday was exhausting due to the strong crosswind.
Maybe we'll meet next year at MMC!

Attachments

• 24042009(005).jpg
    24042009(005).jpg
    83.6 KB

Latest posts