Mini restoration on 81 R80GS

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newguy

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R80GS
As some of you may have read my R80 took some punishment going through Baviaans. I'm gonna have to replace the rear main seal on the flywheel, which requires removing half the bike. So I decided that I might as well do everything while I'm at it, shes 26 years old, she deserves it. Basically I will be replacing the rear main seal, swingarm bearings, steering head bearings and a good clean with reassembly, I am still pondering a possible respray, also possibly the drive shaft bearings and exhaust replacement (defenately the collector box anyway) etc. (other stuff will be replaced as I come across them).
On sunday, with Paramed's help (Thanks dude!), went to go and fetch the bike at Mike's place. Got it back home and gave it a quick wash. Not being an extremely patient person, I started removing some stuff. I live in a flat, so the bike is standing in my parents garage, not a lot of space to work with. When I work on the bike again this weekend I will pull out the car and take better pickies.

Removed the subframe and petrol tank
tankoff.JPG

Then loosened the driveshaft. BTW every manual and thread I have ever read on this tells you to replace the 4 bolts, as they deform on tightening. a certain BMW dealer advises me they don't replace it and never have!
:evil: Makes you wonder. Its not like its an extremely expensive item either.
loosenshaft.JPG

then proceeded to remove the swingarm, also removed headlight and fairing etc, will also be cleaning up, shrinkwrapping the wiring.
shaftoff.JPG

Then I removed the airbox and the starter and generator covers
boxout.JPG

elec.JPG

Thats it for now. I will update this thread every weekend as I work.

Newguy out