Mpumalanga - Kruger Park Fence Patrol

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
Kymco (all models)
There is a very large and very reproductive branch of my extended family down in the Hazyview area of Mpumalanga.

One of my cousins, Anton, asked for some computer help. I said sure, but the fees will be for him to jump on his 950 and show me some of the back roads of the area, and in particular a railway service road that runs along the South-West border of the Kruger Park.

Anton is a busy guy. He farms bananas and macadamia nuts, and with his missus he operates a company that sources and delivers fresh produce to the hundreds of game farms, B&Bs and lodges in the area. He is a great guy to know if you ever want to find out about the area.   

Yesterday he had a free morning, so he kindly offered to show me the southern bit of the fence-road, and a few scenic and twisty tar roads in the area. 

Anton tells me that the road is rideable all the way from Kaapmuiden in the South up to Acornhoek, and possibly beyond, but the bit we rode in the time available was the section from Numbi Gate down to Kaapmuiden.

Our 180Km outing.

RouteMap-1.jpg

First bit near Numbi gate is flat and very easy. (near A on the map) The road is wedged in between the KNP fence and the railway. There are hundreds of drainage humps across the road and on occasions a KLE with a big guy on it took to the skies â?? something you donâ??t see that often.  An airborne 950 however was a common sight.

Hazyview20081227_003.jpg

At one place there were a few weathered jumbo piles in the road I wondered how the ellie had got through the fence into the corridor, but Anton said there were quite a few holes in the fence. As he said, â??not easy to stop an ellie who wants to go through.â? I wonder would I would have done if we had met a big bull â?? very fast powered u-turn I suspect.  Not many escape routes. Railway on the right, fence on the left. Ellie/Lion ahead â?? would have been fun.

There were also spoor that Anton assured me were buffalo, but they looked like cow-turds to me â?? just there were no cows in any direction.

Here Anton is checking the road for spoor but it had rained the previous and there was nothing to be seen. 

Hazyview20081227_004.jpg

A shot of one of there drainage humps â?? Anton was doing some impressive big-airs on the 950, but 120Kg of Gunda on a KLE can do serious damage to suspension.

Hazyview20081227_005.jpg

A couple of shy impalas giving the â??tourist viewâ? of their behinds. Strange how they moon you as soon as they see the camera. 

Hazyview20081227_006.jpg

Helped this little hingeback tortoise over the road (not that he really needed it)
Suspect a Kinixys belliana belliana

Hazyview20081227_007.jpg

Anton joked this was the first time he had ever seen more rhinos that impala. True. We saw at least ten whites but only one small bachelor herd of impala.

Hazyview20081227_009.jpg

Train carrying a load of iduonnowhat to idunnowhere. Friendly driver nearly blew my ears off with his horn.

Hazyview20081227_010.jpg

Anton had warned me about these drifts, and how slippery the cement gets with algae growing on it. I was very cautious and nursed the bike through with feet down, but even that was tough as there was absolutely no grip for feet or tyres. I managed to get through but heard the unmistakable sound of KTM on cement behind me. The katoom made it through onto dry ground, albeit horizontally, but  Anton ended up on his butt in the water.

Missed the down-shot helping Anton, but here he is inspecting damage.

At this crossing the fence stops at the river leaving a huge gap for game to get back and forward and so I was watching carefully for big kitties in the grass or schtomping or sticking things. 

Hazyview20081227_012.jpg

Towards the end. Some amazing patches of  orange coloured flowers.
Prettiflora katoomensis ? 

Hazyview20081227_013.jpg

Almost colour-coordinated, but not quite.

Hazyview20081227_014.jpg

Looking up the Nsikaze river. Upstream from this point the river and railway line divide the KNP from a few private reserves.
On the West is the reserve marked Mtethomusha, but Anton calls it Bongani.

Hazyview20081227_015.jpg

A surprisingly big family of raffies crossing the river. Near B on the map. 

Hazyview20081227_016.jpg

We then rode through towards the â??Crocodile river conservation areaâ? B-D on the map.

Excellent overgrown and twisty bit of tar road.

This farmer grows oil-rich lemons for the Coca-cola people. I never knew there was lemon oil in Coke â?? the things you learn riding.

Hazyview20081227_017.jpg

Great piece of tar road â?? worth a visit

Hazyview20081227_019.jpg

A typical granite/lowveld koppie. Pegmatitic Granite/Gneiss according to my â??Geological Journeysâ? book.

Was wondering if we could do a Jerico thingy and ride up it

Hazyview20081227_020.jpg

We took a pleasant detour through the Saligna plantations on the way back. (E-F on the map)

Looking out towards the Park. We had ridden down behind the mountains in the background.

Hazyview20081227_021.jpg

The da Gama dam a few KMs from the family farms. 

Hazyview20081227_022.jpg

Great ride â?? thanks Anton.

Donâ??t you guys think Anton should be recruited as a Mpumalanga dog?

** signing off from WiFi hotspot at Wimpy - Rendevous Center, Hazyview ** 

The GPS Track.

Footnote: Bad news is da bike - she is broke.

Got a peice of bloudraad wrapped around the back axle and damaged the brake's hydraulic line.

Can see if I can get it fixed in Hazyview to ride some more.

Every time I press the rear brake I lose a spoon of fluid  :(

Attachments

• KNPFence20081227.zip
    28.1 KB
Thanx for the track. Gives me some more ideas for my planned "Round the old Transvaal" trip

GundaGunda said:
Footnote: Bad news is da bike - she is broke.

Got a peice of bloudraad wrapped around the back axle and damaged the brake's hydraulic line.

Can see if I can get it fixed in Hazyview to ride some more.

Every time I press the rear brake I lose a spoon of fluid  :(

Who needs/uses back brakes anyway? Just be more forceful on the fronts....

Waiting in anticipation to join you on the ride later in the week, just had about 20mm's rain here this morning... busy sorting pics of our rides so far... mostly ending with Smithey in the nic in some waterfall though...  :biggrin:

Nice ride there GGunda. Last time I was out that way it was dry. Beautiful and green now I see.

Malibu said:
mostly ending with Smithey in the nic in some waterfall though...  :biggrin:

No..please do not post those.... ;) ;D

Malibu said:
Waiting in anticipation to join you on the ride later in the week, just had about 20mm's rain here this morning... busy sorting pics of our rides so far... mostly ending with Smithey in the nic in some waterfall though...  :biggrin:

Where Smithy goes, there goes a beer-fueled waterfall !!

Changed the plan. Am going to trailer the bike down to Nelspruit tomorrow to see if I can get the back brake working again. There is a Kawa dealer there â?? hope he is open.

Took the cage up the hill â?? Eish but it is a mudbath â?? No chance of me getting up a steep hill through that mud.

But if I am bikeless you should  do the rail road to Hazyview with my GPS track.

Cautions:-

Watch the humps. On some of them I was too fast and found the back slopes rutted with no chance of  choosing  a new line. Had some tense moments.

Some of the river crossings are like riding on KY smeared Teflon. Rather walk the bike through with feet acting like training wheels. .

We did see ellie and buf dung. Old, but shows they do get onto the road sometimes. Make sure you have good vision if you go fast. You donâ??t want to give an ellie and unexpected visual prostate examination.

Mark Hardy said:
Nice ride there GGunda. Last time I was out that way it was dry. Beautiful and green now I see.

Malibu said:
mostly ending with Smithey in the nic in some waterfall though...  :biggrin:

No..please do not post those.... ;) ;D

+1 re Smithey in the waterfall  ;D

And yes, the grass was long and green - made it hard to spot animals.

Hi Gunda, lekker report ...u certainly get around to some interesting places.

REgarding the brake line , try a hydraulics shop they can make u one up (not sure if they open this time of year though)

at kwak its going to be dear i fear

good luck

IceCreamMan said:
Hi Gunda, lekker report ...u certainly get around to some interesting places.

REgarding the brake line , try a hydraulics shop they can make u one up (not sure if they open this time of year though)

at kwak its going to be dear i fear

good luck

Thanks for the tip, but its a bad time of year to get any kind of service I fear.

Problem is it is hard to see exactly where the hydraulic stuff is leaking from - seems to be at the joint where the line joins the back disk calipers.

The good news is the shitty weather that moved in last night makes me reluctant to get out there and ride .. ride. .  ride . . . and the injury to the bike does not hurt so much.

P, have you tried removing the bolt that holds the brake line to the caliper? Usually there's copper washers in there that may been squashed a bit. Rotating them may solve the problem.

Groenie said:
P, have you tried removing the bolt that holds the brake line to the caliper? Usually there's copper washers in there that may been squashed a bit. Rotating them may solve the problem.

I thought it may be something like that. Problem is that I have no idea how to bleed the braking system if and when I fix it - so I had better let a pro look at it - I am a bit oif a turkey with brakes.

Anton did try to tighten that bolt a bit with no luck.

Thanks for the help though.