Mud practise - plastic bike riding

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
We parked the BM's this past weekend and I took my wife to a friend on mine's farm in the Swartland with the toys. 

There is a clay quarry on the farm and we have permission to ride there and in the surrounding fields as it will eventually become quarry as well. When it's dry it is a load of fun as there is is a variety of different riding surfaces as well as all sorts of land forms, from trenches to donga's, there are jumps and huge flat areas where one can get the throttle open and single tracks all around. The diggers constantly change the place around so it's different just about every time we ride there.

When it's wet as it was on Saturday, it's a fine place to practise your mud riding. Wet clay is a bugger, that's all I can say and it doesn't wash off the bikes so easy.

My wife loves it there as she doesn't have to worry about getting in the way of somebody or holding someone up like she finds at Melkbos and Zone 7. So all in all it's a brilliant place for her to learn and practise her skills, which are improving all the time.

I will remember the day for my first flip (in this decade). I am beginning to question what the big thing about riding on one wheel is, cause it hurts when it goes wrong. I had said to myself, "Myself, remember to cover the back brake", but it went over so fast that was the last thing I thought about. I suppose using the brake will come with experience. The young lady who took the photograph kindly asked me to do it again but I had to decline unfortunately.

I don't know if this has ever happened to anyone else, but after I had picked myself up, the KDX would not start. After 15 minutes of kicking I decided to push it up the side of the quarry and try to push start it coming down the hill. Luckily I took the spot at the rear of the bike to push and then I saw the problem. The exhaust had a chompion or butt plug made of clay completely blocking the zorst. Took about another 10 minutes to dig it out.

A lekker ride and then I rushed home to watch my homeland team get trumped by the Bokke. I should have ridden for a few more hours.

Some pics from the day................

Attachments

• Entering the quarry.JPG
    Entering the quarry.JPG
    83.2 KB
  • Happy wife.JPG
    Happy wife.JPG
    127.3 KB
A few more, the others are too big and I am not sure how to make them smaller

Attachments

• Chat (read rest).jpg
    Chat (read rest).jpg
    122.9 KB
  • Photo-0004.jpg
    Photo-0004.jpg
    71.1 KB
  • Water break.JPG
    Water break.JPG
    117.4 KB
Last.............. this was taken whilst I was still bouncing across the grass after flipping. Not a bad shot for a young lady.

Attachments

• Mid flip, quite a good action shot.jpg
    Mid flip, quite a good action shot.jpg
    139.8 KB
Hi WE, thanks for sharing, like your writing style! Nice pictures too!  :thumleft:
Rather join in and support the 'Bokke!'  ;D
Cheers

Hi warren ... where in the swartland was this?

let me know when you are playing again .. id like to join!