My Garmin Nuvi is moeg..

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Berty77

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
After years of good service my Nuvi205W finally called it quits.
On a ride yesterday, I noticed a faint but distinct (and well known) electrical smell. When I looked down to see if I can see whats happening, I saw the GPS was no longer joining me on my scenic drive and have desided to take a nap, it was just sleeping but not yet dead and beried. I stoped to try and wake it up, the mobile charger's little light was also a bit dim so I thought it could be a charger issue. After I unplugged the charger from the GPS the light came back on on the charger so it could have been a short on the charger wiring. I turned the GPS on via its switch and it came back to join my company. It must be the charger I though. I rode till the battery was almost depleted.
Back home I tried to charge it with the mains charger and it imediatly went off and the light on the charger also died. Mmmmm, very very bad news for me.
I now know the problem is not either of my chargers but something in my Nuvi. I thought it could be my battery so I removed it (surgically) plugged the power supply in and again it kicked the circuit protection into action on the power supply. Mmmm, very very VERY bad news.....
I gave up trying to find the problem myself and went to google, also no luck.
Now, will I fix my trusty but worthless old Nuvi @ a respected technician that could charge me the price of a new one, or just buy a new one?????