My last service - at 51 000km (2010, 990R)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wayne Duck

Race Dog
Reaction score
No fixed address...Travelling Southern Africa in a
Hello, I just thought that this would be of interest to the LC8 owners.

My 990R clocked over to 50 000km during my last ride (see RR here https://wilddog.net.za/forum/index.php?topic=162111.0 ) and was due for a "15000km" service. I took it to Raceworx as Ross has serviced my 950S (now sold) and 990R since new.

Ross suggested he replace the fuel filter. Considering it had pumped just over 3000 liters while clocking up the 51 000kms (see Fuelly link in my signature below) I thought that this would be good preventative maintenance. By the way, I've never had any of the filter problems that have been so well documented here.

A photo of the removed filter...

I'm still not sure why these filters are said to give problems. Similar in-tank filters in cars have service intervals (replacement) at 150 000km, some more! Perhaps they are bigger? If so, why don't KTM spec a bigger one, there is space in the tank. I see the new one's "tea bag" is a bit bigger than the old, but it, and the paper filter, could be even bigger, and therefore have longer replacement intervals?

Then Ross found this... :eek7:

It is of course the botom end of the accelerator cable...a bit sobering to think that it could well have snapped while I was out there on my last ride, and I was solo, in some pretty remote places  :eek:

Guys, check yours, and make sure it is not taking a sharp turn as it exits the end of the cable sheath. New cable was +-R750 (sorry don't have invoice with me now for exact amount)

Cheers
Wayne