My Port Elizabeth and Roundabouts (19/5/13)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sacremento, Schoenmakers kop, op die 'wildside' van marine drive.

Is dit jou tappit wa wat hier voor staan  :eek7:

Ian in Great Brak River said:
At the risk of seriously upsetting you  ... I for one, would love to know the story of Settlers Freeway ... never could understand why the built it up there in the first place ?

Its because of the bunny huggers  :eek7: , but practicality as well.

I'll get to it, but first there are a couple of foties I need to get to show the whole story.

jupiter said:
Is dit jou tappit wa wat hier voor staan  :eek7:

Die Wit Conquest, ja dis myne  :thumleft:

Damn  :peepwall:

Yesterday I’m on my way to work and realise I’d ‘forgotten’ my office keys at home. Ja, well, no fine,… lets go for a ride.

Marine drive,… and we’ll start with a cup of coffee from the Sacremento Restaurant.

Sitting on my bench having some serenity

Willows resort along the way

All along marine Drive are spots where you can pull off and have a picnic/braai. Don’t think its legal, but no one will bother you.

Further along there’s a little bay from where you can see the CapeReceive lighthouse…

… and the back of UPE

The wide shot

The South Side

Bike pics back on the Bay side where Hugo’s roadhouse use to be.

We get on to Beach Road and at the bottom of Admiralty is this beacon. It’s always been there and I have no idea why ?

Next we go to Bird Rock with a view towards Hobie Beechy.(I’m just sauntering along the beeches now)

As I get to Hobie beech I notice big maracas and realise the Splash Festival is on this weekend. This was not a planned excursion and I did not bring a cap. It’s a hot day and I pop in to get myself a lekker  Big Five tappit cap.

I then go walk around to see what pics I can get.

A look towards Humewood beach

Shark Rock Pier

More of the festivities

Hobie beach looking back towards Bird Rock

I move on and get to Humewood beach

In the opposite direction towards McArthur’s Baths and Kings Beach

Where the dolphins use to be

McArthur’s baths

Another view of Humewood beach so you can see parts of the old promenade that was retained after the ’68 floods.

Kings beach with the harbour break water in the far back ground.

I then leave the beach front and go up Humerail to see what pics I can get of the harbour

Another view showing you the Apple Train station which is no more. Use to be one of the great features of PE. Wonder where the train is ?

And the wide shot

It amazes me what I see on this trip of mine. I think I’m done and head for the freeway. As I enter I notice a building I’ve never ‘SEEN’ before.

As I go onto the freeway I get this view of the city centre

And for the first time in my life I notice that building with the green and yellow tower. WTF ?

I get off the freeway at Russell Rd and head back towards the Town hall. That building is behind it.

And so I ‘discover’ the Old Post Office and what a magnificent building, completely neglected and dilapidated.

Now I can at last understand the fracas of the last few years about the outcry to restore this building. It’s a sorry state of affairs indeed,… and it is a national heritage building.

But then, what building is this that I showed you the other day and that I had always thought of as the Old Post office ?

It sits at the back of and is attached to the Old Post office so maybe it was part of the office complex and has clearly been restored. Hopefully they still get to the main building.

Interesting thing of the building above is that, many years ago it housed the Baakens Street Police Station at the far end of it, and, where once the Hon. Adv. BJ Voster was a guest of Her Majesty’s colonial government.

And lastly for the day, in sharp contrast, the new Main Post Office building a little further up Govan Mbeki.

Mooi plekke op ons voorstoep. As ek 'n soortgelyke thread oor Jansenville begin maak ek alles klaar in die eerste post.  :imaposer:

Thanks JUPE, the ride around the patch is great.  Pity the economy is in free fall tatters, and the province is technically bankrupt. I really think the EC government must shelve their attempts to attract industry.  They must rather go FLAT OUT for tourism. Serious. See around some time again.     

Tweets said:
Thanks JUPE, the ride around the patch is great.  Pity the economy is in free fall tatters, and the province is technically bankrupt. I really think the EC government must shelve their attempts to attract industry.  They must rather go FLAT OUT for tourism. Serious. See around some time again.       

You aware that the Chinese have finally started colonizing PE  ??? Huge truck building plant out at Koega !

Tweets tourismn is something one can do on the side to make money. The big money is in industry you should know that and PE is an industrial town.

Tweets said:

Ja PE is nie lekker nie, moenie hier kom bly nie  :peepwall:  :laughing4:

A fascinating thread. Thank you!

It would be interesting to see harbour shots, and also where the car factories are.

BlueBull2007 said:

It would be interesting to see harbour shots, and also where the car factories are.

Most of the car factories are in Uitenhage. As for as I know we only have GM and the Ford enjin plant. Access to the harbours are restricted nowadays, but I'll see what I can do  :thumleft:

jupiter said:
BlueBull2007 said:

Most of the car factories are in Uitenhage. As for as I know we only have GM and the Ford enjin plant. Access to the harbours are restricted nowadays, but I'll see what I can do  :thumleft:

Just tell the security at the gate you're going to buy chokka bait for fishing.  :mwink:

J-mo said:
jupiter said:
BlueBull2007 said:

Just tell the security at the gate you're going to buy chokka bait for fishing.  :mwink:

Koega ?

jupiter said:
J-mo said:
jupiter said:
BlueBull2007 said:

Koega ?
Nee, PE hawe