• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Wild Dog Adventure Riding and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

My XT660R has been grabbed. SOLD

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crossed-up

Pangaman
Reaction score
Bike
Yamaha XT500
People are coming out of the woodwork to see my bike, so perhaps I was premature in withdrawing it.

This sale is withdrawn.  Obviously you all have perfect bikes.

This is not to say that I wouldn't sell it if you waved enough mandelas at me, but I've missed the bike of my dreams and now I'm sulking.

I'm tentatively putting my XT on the market.  I've got an overwhelming itch for a lightweight enduro bike before I get too old for such silliness.

I'll do my level best to achieve "full disclosure".

It's not original or "concours" by any measure.  It's not pristine. It's been dropped just about everywhere where there's space for it to fall over. It has been crashed heavily twice.  Once by the previous (late) owner and once by me.

I've modified it to make it a good, reliable tourer.  There's a lot about it that will make the purists cringe, but then they should just stay away.  This is a working bike which has been to the Richtersveld twice, the Northern Cape, The Eastern Cape and just about every stretch of gravel road in the Western Cape.

It has a massive HID headlight topped by a ridiculous wind deflector/number board, to which I sometimes attach a screen.
Fork socks and progressive springs in front.
Zeta handguards
Aluminium bashplate
Centre-stand
Gillimoto 23l tank
Pooratech wide footpegs and bar raisers.
Givi racks and an Andy600 luggage plate
Power sockets for Hella and cigarette lighter connectors.
Polyurethane cush rubbers
2-into-one Metal Mule exhaust

The chain, sprocket, tyres and brake pads are good.  Helderberg serviced the bike recently.  Shane says the head bearings could be tightened a bit but they're not too bad.

I bought the bike from Linex  in 2009 who had rebuilt the bike from a wreck.  Because of its history there is no FSH, red key, tools, owner’s handbook etc.  I had a copy of the key made.  Later on I lost the original.  By this stage the immobiliser was occasionally playing silly buggers so I bought an “immobiliser emulator” over the internet (R170).  Now it uses an ordinary chipless key, and I trust it won’t let one down in the gamadoelas.  It never has.

The bike has nearly 47 000 kilos on this clock and 9 000 on the first speedo which was replaced because the glass was broken. (I'll include that speedo and a great deal of other stuff with the sale.)

About 10 000 km ago the motor ran its main bearings.  I had been on a long trip and probably didn't check the oil properly.  Yamaha Helderberg (Shane Hoskins) rebuilt the motor with a new crank and piston assembly.  They also replaced several seals etc which should be done when you split the crankcase.

I re-covered the seat recently. It's likely that the headlight won't pass roadworthy because HIDs don't dip to the left.  The original headlamp (damaged) won't be pretty but will suffice for the purpose.

The bike runs very well, uses no oil and is absolutely reliable.  

As I write this ad I keep on thinking I'm crazy to sell it, but I'm not planning any more touring for a while, if ever.  But every Sunday I wish I had a 110 kg bike to play with.

I think the bike is worth at least R35 000 but I'm reasonably open to offers as I know how hard it is to find money these days.  I'll keep this ad up here for a little while before throwing it up on Gumtree, OLX etc.

You may contact me at my email address (preferred) or on 079 399 2246 during the day.