new biker, some help needed

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drnaphtali

Puppy
Reaction score
Bike
AJS (all models)
Hey guys,

I have never really ridden a motorcycle before, but I have always been interested in off-road riding. So I have decided to finally bite the bullet and get myself a new toy.

Anyway, for me to make it feasible, it needs to be capable of on and off road riding. On road riding will be to get to and from trails, and for commuting around 20km's per day, all done through suburbs.

As it is a first bike, I also do not want to spend a fortune. I am hoping for around the R20k mark. But I might go as high as R30k, depends...

Now I've been suggested a few bikes:
First bike I looked at was a KDX200. Saw some really nice and cheap deals, heard its a great starter bike...but the problem is getting it on-road. Most of them do not have any papers and cannot be made road legal.

Then I was advised to look at the KMX250. Found a bike I wanted, and which go take a look at, but the dealer never got back to me and shortly after I was told to look for a DRZ400, which the more I read, the more interested I came to be.

The only problem again, is finding a road legal one. I have seen from past buys they are definitely out there, but struggling to find one now, especially at my price range.

So I was hoping you guys could possibly add a few more bikes, so that I can widen my spectrum and buy a bike sooner.

I see on this forum, the last DRZ sold was in July (BTW that bike would have been ideal!! Great price and seeeingly in fantastic condition)
https://wilddog.net.za/forum/index.php?topic=128441.0

As a side note, on the DRZ's; some posts I read said I shouldn't even look at the DRZ400SM model, only DRZ400E which has allready been converted, or the DRZ400S but the DRZ400E is preferred. What are you guys take on this?