This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nightwind

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS Adventure
Hi all fellow dogs
Although I have posted a few posts since I joined, I did not introduce myself properly. Bad manners...ag askies!
Although I had a bike when I was in my twenties, I did not ride a bike for 25 years. At the age of 50, I decided to give my long time dream a go, bought an 1150 GS and traveled all around SA, following the routes as close to the sea or border as possible.
I was lekker stupid in my planning, but it made the trip so much more fun. I had the wrong tyres, was not used to sitting and riding long stretches, did not know how to handle mud and sand, coarse gravel roads etc. I slept where I could, rode when I wanted, and met a whole lot of interesting people. Before I started on the trip, I contacted the local schools of all the small, unknown towns and, speaking to the headmasters, got the names of the town's local Hero/Icon. Then, during my trip, I met these people and I wrote their stories. It was a life changing adventure.

Unfortunately, it was over too quick (21 days) and I had to rush the last 3 days. I did not have a singel breakdown during the trip, but near Hondeklipbaai, I fell so many times in the sand...I stoped counting.

This year I plan a trip to Namaqualand with Katja, my BMW 1150 GS during August/September. I will stay on a farm next to the Skilpadsnek reserve. There is a little cement dam, a windmill and about 10 000 ha of flowers.
I cannot wait...